Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyrama

Need an ID on tiny Clematis?

audreyrama
10 years ago

It was supposed to be either Sweet Autumn or Travelers Joy, but I ended up with tiny purple flowers instead.
Can someone please tell me what this is?
Its growing in almost complete shade. And i buried the pot as I didn't want to get overrun.
Audrey.

Comments (7)

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better pic!

• Marlene Schmidt
    10 years ago

Go to "Clematis on the Web" and look at "Perrin's Pride." Mine has the rounded form but is larger than yours. PP is a dusky purple, really like it as it is a bit different than most purples. Not sure why your blooms are so small but weather has been weird this year.
    Just a guess....there are LOTS of purples!
    Marlene

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey luvmyclematis,
    Its def not Perrins Pride, but thats what I thought when I first saw it because I just happened to get a Perrins Pride last week thats in full bloom, my Perrrins Pride has got 4-4.5 inch flowers different shades of plum and was grown about 4 km away.
    The purple on this is much darker and the flowers are 1 inch to inch and a half in diameter.
    All my other clematis's are huge or normal size, so I don't know if weather has any part to play, but maybe.
    I specifically wanted a white clematis for that spot easy enough to move though...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but I don't recognize it, but it may look different when it is older and has better growing conditions. When you move it, you want to be sure to take it out of the pot. I also wouldn't suggest leaving sweet autumn in a pot when you plant it unless it's at least 5 gallon and has the bottom cut out.

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bottom is out of the large cardboardish pot, I read sweet autumn was invasive and hence planted it such.
    Also this teeny purple beauty is in Morning and Evening Sun,I went out and did a full check all day.
    All the buds in the morning had bloomed by evening.
    I'm waiting to see how it does before moving in the fall.
    if anyone has an idea what it is please let me know!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Just so you know, sweet autumn spreads by seed. If you live somewhere that the seeds have a chance to ripen (it gets too cold too soon here) they will seed around with abandon. The roots aren't a problem. A cardboardish pot shouldn't be an issue regardless as it will rot in less than a season, so I wouldn't worry about that.

• audreyrama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I was sold an etoile violette by mistake. Pretty
    Though.. Seems to be liking where it is so its staying there for now.