Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrubby clematis

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 11:45

Most of the clematis we grow, Ville de Leon, Duchess of Edinburgh types, don't do well here because of the drying winds that we get. The plants are stunted and really sad. I have decided to try growing some of the bush type clematis. Does anyone have any suggestions for which ones are best? Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrubby clematis

Which ones are "best" is purely subjective :-) I've attached a link that outlines the characteristics of the different species.......C. integrifolia tends to be one of the most available forms but not all selections are entirely 'shrubby'. More like a sprawling groundcover :-) And some actually do extend to some height but lack a vining ability so may be better draped over/grown into a small shrub.

While still a hybrid clematis, 'Harlow Carr' has visible integrifolia parentage and is great if you want a sprawling effect. Extremely long bloom season. 'Rooguchi' is also very popular. And if you can find it, one my faves is Clematis recta 'Purpurea' which is fully herbaceous, forms what I'd consider a very shrubby plant, has purple foliage and produces clouds of small, white fragrant flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: herbaceous clematis

o
RE: shrubby clematis

New Love is a shrub type clematis. It has done very well for me, have grown it about 7 years with a move to a different city almost 5 years ago. Never a problem, it is a nice large shrub in bloom now, seems to handle the drought we are in just fine but it does get shade much of the day. It is well-behaved, does not sucker out of it's area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here