Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container planting clematis in WI?

Posted by chartreuse_thumb z4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:53

I just bought a franziska maria clematis and due to a very shady yard, am hoping to plant it in a container in front of a west-facing wall that gets at least a few hours of afternoon sun, with strings running up the wall for the clematis to climb.

I'm worried, though, about how it will fair in a container in our Wisconsin winters. I'm also wondering how large the container needs to be to support its root system.

Am I heading down the wrong path? I've got to confess that I have managed to kill clematis' several times in the past, in other houses, but there is just something about them that keeps me coming back! I've got to get it right eventually...right?

Alternatively, I could plant it directly in the ground near a south-facing wall, but this is not a part of the yard that is very visible and I wouldn't get to enjoy it as much as the west-facing side.

Advice welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container planting clematis in WI?

I am planting all my container clematis in the ground this fall. Have lost several the last two winters even though they were wintered in the garage and several years old.

o
RE: Container planting clematis in WI?

I am a tad warmer than you and almost always have good snow cover. The only clematis that have been hardy enough to overwinter for me in a container were atragene clematis, the type 1 prune, early small flowering vines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here