Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Can Ville de Lyon take hot sun?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

Just had to dig up a rambling rose which got RRD, and not too sure I want to plant another rose there. I had a Prince Charles clematis supposedly twining its way up the rose, but Prince Charles has never really thrived there. Don't know if it is Prince Charles or the spot that is the problem--lots of sun.

Anyway, thought I might for now put up a nice decorative trellis, wind Prince Charles up it, and add a Ville de Lyon or other reddish clematis to climb with Prince Charles. Do you think Ville de Lyon can take hot sun? I try to keep that spot well-watered, but it is truly a hot spot in my garden and sometimes dries out much faster than I expect.

What do you think? With care, might be workable? Bound to fail? Better reddish clematis that can take the hot sun better?

Kate

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since no one seems to know the answer, let's just send this posting on down the line. But I bought a Ville de Lyon anyway. If I find out anything interesting about it, I'll report it here--OK?

Kate

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I have other clematis in full hot sun, though I am probably a bit cooler than you which is why I didn't answer earlier. My V de L is in half shade, but based on my other clematis, I don't see that it is likely to be an issue. I'd advise adding a good thick layer of mulch to help maintain even moisture levels. Heat is less an issue for clematis IME than dryness.

• CharlotteML64
    11 years ago

Hi, I have had her for about 25 years and she gets morning sun but really needs full sun which she got before the bush and tree grew up! Prince Charles really prefers an east facing site. Mine has been blooming for over a month now and still growing strong. However, I would not recommend you move PC yet, but do give it fertilizer, either rose or tomato as that really helps.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input on Ville de Lyon and Prince Charles. I'm a little worried for both of them since where they are planted is a "hot spot" in the gardens, but I had to destroy a climbing rose growing there (due to Rose Rosette Disease). Prince Charles has been growing there for several years, but never that happy even though it got some shade fromt he climbing rose. I couldn't bear seeing Prince Charles growing all by itself there--which is when I got the idea of another clematis to keep him company -- and maybe provide a bit of shade also?

Dunno how this will work out or even if I want it to be a permanent fixture there, but if they like the togetherness and can survive the hot sun, I think that might be a speciall place in the garden even without the climbing rose.

I will have to keep a close eye on them so they don't dry out, won't I, and give PC a little midsummer snack might be a good idea.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I have planted about a dozen clematis along my NW-facing back wall in the last couple of years. We took down some trees, which unfortunately increased the amount of hot SW afternoon sun on the clems. Ville de Lyon has been putting out a few blooms all summer with temperatures mostly in the upper 80s to mid-90s and almost no rain this year. I've watered all of them about every 3-5 days, but V de L is the only one to bloom continuously, and has shown no signs of wilting even if I let a few extra days go by without watering in my sandy loam soil.

Anne

• mariaNY
    11 years ago

Hi Kate,

I planted my Ville de Lyon in a sunny spot this May and it's establishing itself well, despite all the 100 degree heat waves we've had here in NY. Some of the new growth wilted a little bit during the worst weather, but the plant bounced back quickly. It's still blooming now. Can't wait to see it next year!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info on Ville de Lyon in hot sun. Mine is very tiny (just planted a few days ago) but is looking healthy and not bothered by too much sun--so far! Of course, we just have to have 100+ degrees forcast for the rest of the week. Grrrrrr----

Kate

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

My VDL is in full sun. Usually a very heavy bloomer. This year it didn't even break the ground until a month ago. Growth about 4 ft now, but not a bud in sight. My Earnest Markham has grown well, but no bloom either. My Mme Baron Veillard, the most prolific bloomer of all, has 1 flower. I guess it must be the weather. Don't know what else to blame this erratic business on.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations