Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Mayleen

trovesoftrilliums
12 years ago

I purchased a Mayleen which was listed as hardy to zone 5 in the catalog. Now I am seeing that is a very optimistic zone!

I potted it up to a gallon and am now wondering whether I should give her a try on the east side of my house which seems most protected or if I should just try to do a plant swap and get a clematis better suited for my zone.

New to zone 5 and clematis. Just have one Hagley that I planted last summer which did very nicely on the east side of our house.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments (19)

• Ament
    12 years ago

Every item I clicked on for a search on Mayleen Clematis showed them all to be hearty to zone 6 only. So what company did you order that Mayleen from?

~Tina Marie

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bluestone end of spring sale

I also bought Rosemoor which I had planned to put on the east side of our house as we have pale siding. Now I'm thinking I'll look for an obelisk for Roosemor and Hagley and put Mayleen on the side.

Here is a link that might be useful: mayleen zone 5

• Ament
    12 years ago

Maybe if you mulch and protect the Mayleen every year it'll survive Trovesoftrilliums. I surely hope so! I love them, so beautiful! :) You surely can try it anyway.

I would get the obelisk, that would be pretty. :) Post pictures when you do get the obelisk, I'd love to see it.

As an aside, do you trade trillium seeds?

~Tina Marie

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

'Mayleen' is a montana and they are not very hardy, Bluestone likely just copied and pasted from a more hardy Clematis on their website. They are not Clematis experts that know more than everyone else.

She also grows 20-30 feet, so isn't a good candidate for an obelisk....

Sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: Mayleen

• Ament
    12 years ago

Buyorsell,

If Trovesoftrillium plants the mayleen clem in a protected area and covers with compost/mulch, that mayleen may actually make it through the winter, wouldn't it?

The Mayleen wasn't the one trovesoftrillium was wanting to put on the obelisk, would the other two they mentioned work on an obelisk? I should have checked on heights for them, I didn't do that. You'd know more on that than I would. :)

~Tina Marie

• bob414
    12 years ago

The problem with a Montana in a cold climate is that it only blooms on old wood so even if you protect the roots if the vines are frozen it will not bloom. You would have to find a way to protect the whole plant, not just the roots.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Ah well, hopefully trovesoftrilliums can manage a good load of hay to protect the thing, or else trade it off. :)

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I've found 1 reference to Mayleen growing in zone 5. Not sure if we are in a colder or warmer part of zone 5, as locals all claim something different. I'll see how lucky I am feeling in a few weeks--and either plant it in ground or try to trade. Really got to get that lean-to green house I've been dreaming about. :D

• 111mariesnowgoose
    12 years ago

Montanas apparently need an average minimum temperature above -18 degrees C (0 degrees F).

This means in the USA that they can easily be grown in Zone 7-9.

They come from areas of thin soil in the mountains of India, Nepal and China so they are comparatively tough!

I know that here in the UK they can be grown anywhere with confidence as they are one of the strongest clematis available.

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess there are so many other clematis to grow, I will try some others more reliably hardy for my zone.

By the way, I emailed Bluestone about the zone discrepancy and they offered to send a replacement of my choice. I did urge them to change their catalog listing too.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

There's a clematis nursery in Ipswich, Massachusetts which posted a picture on Facebook of its montana Mayleen this past spring. I asked if it is hardy in Zone 5b and they said they grow it in 5a. It is root hardy all the time and only occasionally bud hardy. Some winters yes and some no, and, of course, it depends on the particular microclimate of the location. I'm going to give it a try here in Central Mass.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Completely Clematis

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    12 years ago

Steve, Please post and let us know what your results are. I'm in zone 5, too, and have always wanted a montana, but I'm pretty far north of you in Vermont, and I'll let you try first.

• washit3
    12 years ago

I am in SLC, Utah, and have a huge small flower pink montanta on the east side of my house. It is right next to to the house so im sure that helps to procect it. It is about 20 feet tall and 4 or 5 wide. It is a monster! I never do any thing to protect it. It is about 20 years old. There have been a few years that have been very harsh and there will be very few blooms that year, but most years it put on a show.

• trovesoftrilliums
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the encouraging posts about montanas in zone5. I am going to go ahead and plant it one the east side of our house. Now to find something suitable for it to climb up! I have one trellis there for Hagley Hybrid (which I may move and let Mayleen ahve that trellis, although it is only 6ft by 2 ft) or put up another trellis. I'd love to have a more substantial trellis built there, as it is the side of a 2 storey house and it looks so dang empty! I just picked up some wood for us to try to make an obelisk though, so big trellis will probably have to wait until next year's project list.

Thanks all.

• kathy_il
    12 years ago

I'm a little late seeing this but:

I, too, bought Mayleen from Bluestone last year. A friend across town has one that flowers beautifully which is why I'm chancing it. She's in town, probably has a microclimate while we are situated on open prairie (zone 5). Planted it in the middle of the yard in a conifer bed. It survived the winter but didn't do much until July when it had a major growth spurt. The true test will be next spring when it flowers or not. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Montana is definitely not totally hardy in zone 6/7 in Denmark, neither root nor wood. I had several for some years, and this last winter they ALL died. Totally.

• flowergirl70ks
    12 years ago

I live on the line of z5/6. I have a montana that lives over the winter, but never blooms. It's a pretty vine though. I forget the name, but the leaves have a reddish tint.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

I bought a Montana Mayleen at the nursery bc it had such beautiful foilage. I didn't realise that it might not live through my zone 6 A/B winters :( It's planted in the front of my house on a trellis against the front porch (facing south/west). I really hope it lives bc its so beautiful. I was hoping to put a Montana grandiflora opposite it. I wish I could find consistant info on these clems for my zone.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Clematis on the Web is one of the best sources of information on clematis. Most have hardiness information, but for some it isn't really known.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web