Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clem ID?

Posted by SpicyFries Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 12:32

I bought this clem on the discount rack at my local greenhouse at the end of the summer. It's tag said Dr. Ruppel. It died back to the groun after planting, but I was excited to see it came back this spring. It put out two buds, but as far as I can tell they don't look like Dr. Ruppel. Anyone have any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clem ID?

Ohhh my .... Its gorgeous!!! I too will be waiting to hear what her name is....

Faye in Nova Scotia

o

Huvi?

o

Mikelite?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikelite at Clematis on the Web

o

Thanks guys! I think it looks most like Mikelite, though I saw Niobe at the greenhouse that I bought this one at today, and they also look similar. Mostly I was looking for the correct pruning group. Looks like Niobe can be done as a 2 or a 3, and Mikelite as a 3, so I'll stick with 3 for now and see how that goes.

o

You can't hurt them by pruning "wrong" . Don't worry about it.

o

I too have been concerned about pruning, I've gotten myself a Firecracker. It's all bunched up on this tiny bamboo trellis, I'm going to hard prune her after the single bloom on her is finished, it hasn't opened yet. I'll spread compost and allow her to winter over covered with straw. Hopefully she'll be alright and do very well for me next year. :)

~Tina Marie

o

Ament, that will be fine. Most Clematis are hardy below zone 5 in the ground.

o

Thanks much Buyorsell888, I also noted in another post somewhere in all of this that someone planted their clem crown down further and tilted to 'shade' her toes. Did I need to do this, or will mine be alright? :(

I planted mine so that it gets the morning sun and part of the afternoon sun, but not the brutal afternoon sun out here. SD afternoons are absolutely brutal. I didn't want to scorch the poor gal. Once she grows up the deck, she'll get good light from the afternoon on her own then. :)

~Bright Blessings
Tina Marie

o

You do need to plant the crown deeper, three to four inches deeper than the nursery pot.

You do not need to worry about shading her toes. That is a myth that continues to persist....

Most Clematis are full sun plants and won't bloom well in shade but they do not take drought well and they need big holes with compost added. They don't do well just chopped into clay. Trust me on this....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here