Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ukmuminusa_gw

Building up my collection

ukmuminusa
13 years ago

Just wanted to share..................

We all know how sad it can be when you move house and you can't take ALL the lovely plants you have grown and nurtured. When I moved from the UK in 2007 to the US it was not a case of being able to dig up a select few from my garden and take them with me when moving house. This obviously was not an option and I had no choice but to leave all the beautiful mature clematis that I had grown over the years.

Anyway, this summer I am very slowly building up my collection and so far have purchased 1 Ville de Lyon and 3

Dr Ruppel

I am not used to gardening in Wisconsin as the climate is completely different from the UK and I also have a number of critters that to contend with too from rabbits,deer, squirrels and chipmunks.................

I planted 3 of my clematis in very large pots and used a tomato cage (i think thats what you call it)for the clematis to grow up. I planted them in pots so that if necessary I can move them inside for the winter. So far they are all doing very well. I just need to find another large pot to plant my 3rd dr ruppel that I bought on sale for only $8 the other day. I wish I had waited to buy the other two dr ruppel clematis at this price!

If anyonw can give me tips on how to add photos I will post them.

Comments (5)

• bob414
    13 years ago

To post your pictures go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Upload your pictures to photobucket. Under each picture on photobucket you will see some lines of code. Copy the 'html code' and paste it in your gardenweb post. When you preview the post the picture will show up.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

For photos, go to photobucket.com and open a free account. Follow their directions for uploading your pics to their site. Then run your cursor below the pic you want to post--find the HTML CODE and right click/COPY. Come over here to Garden Web and PASTE the HTML CODE in the message box (you can type above and below the code, if you want). Click on PREVIEW, and you should be able to see the pic, plus whatever else you typed.

If I were you, I'd plant those clems in the ground. Most of them should be winter hardy in Wisconsin.

Looking forward to your pics.

Kate

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Welcome to the USA. I understand it can be sad to leave an established garden with many special plants. A new environment can be a challenge as well as a joy as one learns what will grow well in the new place.

Both Dr. Rupple and Ville de Lyon are hardy to z:4. Unless you are in a colder zone I suggest you put your clematis in the ground this year if they are not tiny ones. Since it takes around 3 years for clematis to get established and blooming I like to get them in ground as soon as possible.

Chicken wire around the lower part of a clematis helps prevent rabbit damage. Last fall I raised the chicken wire to about 12-15 inches as some critter would cut the stems around that height. No damage yet this year. I also spray the lower part just above the chicken wire with Liquid Fence
    which I find deters both rabbits and deer.

The clematis I grow in pots are overwintered in the garage because they are not hardy in my z:4.

• ukmuminusa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for the tip on how to upload pics, hopefully they are here now.

Also thanks for the tips on preventing the critters from damaging my clematis.

Now that I know that these clematis will be hardy I will have to go to the store to buy some more to plant in the ground, any excuse for more clematis.

I quite like how the ones I planted int he pots look so will probably leave them in there for now and see how they go.

{{gwi:610544}}
    {{gwi:610545}}
    {{gwi:610546}}
    Dr Ruppel
    {{gwi:610552}}
    {{gwi:610554}}

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

I agree with advice to plant them in the ground, they will do just fine with leaf mulch & snow cover as protection from our cold winters. We use the green vinyl covered chicken wire around the base of all our clems as the rabbits are very destructive up here in the north. Your clems are looking great.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES