Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dug up old, old clematis

Posted by andi_mn z4MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:45

hi folks, I had a clematis that got overrun with weeds and poison ivy. and still it has struggled but no blooms this year. I just had to dig it to deal with weeds and ivy. in the process most of those so slim and fragile stems broke. wondering..can I cut each one of those stems off below breaks and will it regrow? the roots look great, the ground is wet and I've got a good place for it. what do you think?
thanks, andi

This post was edited by andi_mn on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dug up old, old clematis

No problems. Do exactly as you have described and it will grow back, though you probably won't get flowers this year, and some types may sulk a bit. Next year it will look great again.

o
RE: dug up old, old clematis

• Posted by ditas z4-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 11:58

Have similar question about my Josephine ~ she loved her site until Carefree rose got carried away growing beautifully despite good pruning & a Mini rose grown tall. She also survived 2 yrs of chlorosis problem w/ treatments. 'thought I've lost her after our drought of Aug/2012-Mar/2013 ~ she returned as a babe w/ so far, no signs of chlorosis & proceeded to put on blooms! Yay!

I need to move her to a sunnier site but fear how much around to dig & how deep ~ please share your experiences! She is 12 yrs old.

TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here