Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogs vs Clematis Dogs won

Posted by cc_coraline edge of 4 and 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 12:48

Okay my clematis is about 3ft tall and was doing well with its first bud on it and my two puppies were playing by it when they tumbled into it and broke all of its bark around the base away and the tiny shoot coming out at the base off and what I'm wondering is will it die or can it live what will happen to it? there is no leaves below the break its right at the base but its still all attached just at the base there is no bark

Plz help thanks a lot Cc_coraline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogs vs Clematis Dogs won

It will be just fine. Severe pruning like that helps Clematis, it does not hurt them. It will likely send up several new vines.

o

Coraline, I feel your pain! I have a dog that has gotten overzealous in my yard & has done some damage. By the way I'm understanding it is that the stem didn't break completely off? If it did, just like BorS it will be fine. I've had a few that 'bent' where the bark cracked & could still see that it didn't break all the way through & went on to bloom w/o skipping a beat.

o

Thanks for the help its blooming right now and just like lalalandwi said it hasnt even missed a beat thanks for the help

Cc_Coraline

o

If it only has one long stem I would cut it off after it is done blooming. You want to encourage it to grow multiple stems and cutting it back is the only way to do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here