Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alilbrat64

New here with a question

alilbrat64
13 years ago

I am new to growing clematis plants and I have one that I planted a few months ago that seems like it is doing well but I am unsure. Is it normal for a flower to only last a couple days before fading and having the pedals fall off? What got me into this was my neighbor has one and it is beutiful so I decided to try one of my own. His flowers like bright and beautiful all summer. Thanks in advance for the help. I could post a photo of it if that would help.

Comments (3)

• michael_in_chicago
    13 years ago

Clematis are going to take a few years to get established, so their first 2 years they will be establishing a good root system. They tend to explode their 3rd year, so keep it watered, mulched, fertilized and look forward to its future display.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Individual flowers do not last all summer on any plant, they rebloom.

Your plants may have dried out when we got the brief hot spell. New Clematis need a ton of water. Drying out would shorten bloom life.

When they are mature they have so many blooms that it is hard to tell that some are dying off and some new.

• alilbrat64
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was watering it every day then thought maybe I was giving it too much so I bought a moisture meter to check to be sure I wasn't doing that and the meter read right in the center of the meter so I'm not sure if that is good enough or if I should water it more. It is growing like crazy and I am happy about that, I just wasn't sure why the blooms don't seem to last long.
    Thanks again!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler