Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

Help me decide which of these sites to order from?

violetta1976
16 years ago

After many searches of this forum, I've decided on madame julia correvon. Thanks for all the pics of it that everyone posted!

I priced it out on all the different sites that were recommended in the posts I looked at. There's moderate price differences involved, but if one retailer has a significantly better product than another I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks more.

Here's the list:

18.90 - Bluestone

22.00 - Joy Creek

22.60 - Garden Crossing

25.00 - Silver Star

25.35 - Chalk Hill

Brushwood is sold out of it. Since I'm a teensy bit tight on cash I'm leaning towards Bluestone, but figured I'd check in with all of you and make sure that wasn't a mistake first.

Comments (6)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

You don't need to mail order here for a Clem that isn't really rare. I've bought all almost 50 of mine locally.

I've seen her locally multiple times this season for cheaper than mail order.

You know Joy Creek is in Scappoose right? They are the most expensive locally for Clematis though. Cheaper for gas than to pay shipping. They are really just before Scappoose only about a half an hour from the Fremont Bridge.

Ferguson's Fragrant Nursery in St. Paul just west of the Donald exit on I5 has a very large selection of huge full one gallon Clems for $14.99 ea.

Portland Nursery has a decent selection as does Shorty's in Vancouver.

If you insist on mail order, I'd do Silver Star Vinery. You get bigger plants with bigger root systems.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I suppose my question SHOULD have been, "Is this rare enough to warrant ordering online?" :0P

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buyorsell, Portland Nursery has one left and is holding it for me. Thank you so much!

Hope you're feeling better...

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I am better, thanks.

Division or Stark? There are two Portland Nurseries. Just in case you didn't know. :)

They are both worth visiting.

Don't worry if the foliage looks scraggly, you'll want to cut it back when you plant it anyway. If it has blooms, enjoy them before cutting back.

I've noticed that a lot of the less popular Clems get held over from year to year at the nurseries and then I find them and get gallons with huge roots and multiple stems rather than one or two. They keep cutting them back because they reach the top of the stake so they keep sprouting more vines. :)

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad you're feeling better! Summer colds are the pits.

I went to the one on Stark. Thanks again for the tip! Because of traffic I wound up not getting there until soon before they closed, which was a total bummer. I could have wandered around there for hours! That's definitely where I'll be going when I'm choosing flowers for my window boxes next spring.

I picked up the Mme Julia and it's gorgeous. Thanks for your comment about enjoying the blooms before cutting back - I knew I was supposed to cut back when I planted, but I didn't want to because there are so many flower buds on it, and I was feeling very guilty for waiting.

I don't think this one had been one of the hold-overs - it has one long stem and one new one. The roots filled up the container, but it wasn't the tight clump of roots that my other clematis (purchased at Cornell Farms) had. Regardless, it looks great, and I'm very happy. So thanks again!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

You are welcome. Cornell Farms is a nice nursery too. I bought my Helsingborg there last summer. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Portland Nursery is a nice place to hang out. It is also very close to the Hawthorne shopping district which has Powell's Books for Cooks and Gardeners among many other shops and restaurants.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022