Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetta1976

Hmm... what color clematis to buy?

violetta1976
16 years ago

Hi all! Just for fun I thought I'd ask for some advice.

I have clematis palette growing along the whole front of this balcony:

{{gwi:610510}}

It's kind of hard to see, but there are three brown pots along the front and that's what the clematis are in.

Note the terra cotta pot underneath the window on the right, with the fan shaped trellis in it and leaning on the window. Excellent spot for another clematis, don't you think? I want to cover that window and provide the plants inside with some shade.

I think I want to stick with group 3, but what color(s) do you think would look nice there?

Here's the palette:

{{gwi:610925}}

And here's a close up of the window boxes, but I doubt I'll plant the same stuff again next year:

{{gwi:38844}}

Comments (8)

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Any color you like. Clematis come in a variety of colors and your prefernce for colors is the best guide to follow.

One thing to note, those pots are way too small for clematis. The absolute minimum should be 18 X 18 inches in size. In yor zone, I would go as big as possible since the more soil, the larger the clematis' roots systems can get and less you will have to water in the summer.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks nckvilledudes. ;0)

I bought the pots that the folks at the nursery recommended, but I realize now that they're too small. I was going to wait to transplant them until late winter/early spring since I just repotted them from 1 gallon containers a few weeks ago when I bought them. Do you think there's a need to do it right away? I haven't had any problems keeping them moist - I have to water the flower boxes pretty much every day, so I'm out there checking on the clematis regularly.

As far as colors go, I was looking for opinions just for fun.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

10-4 Violetta. As to whether they can stay in that sized pot, will depend on how much they grow. No easy way to say except to check on their roots. Most plants put on a large majority of their root growth in the fall, hence the recommendation to plant things in the garden in the fall. If it were me, I would transplant them in late September/early October into the pots I was planning on growing them in for the rest of the time I had them. Less root disturbance in the future will mean less disruption in flowering.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooh, thanks nckvilledudes. Didn't know that and will definitely be transplanting them in the fall instead of later. Thank you!

• entling
    16 years ago

I would get a clem that is a solid color to match Palette (the outer purple) or maybe a darker purple, such as 'Viola.' OTOH, a white would sparkle there. Of course I can't think of a Type III 1 off the top of my head this morning.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

There is the one that has the green tint to it. Can't think of the name either.

• violetta1976
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Too late! I went with a red wine color - Madame Julia Correvon. I love it!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Alba Luxurians is a white viticella that often has green markings on it in the spring. The green seems to dissipate as the weather warms up.

{{gwi:583469}}

Other type III whites that would work would be campaniflora.

{{gwi:610927}}

Or Huldine the smaller white one in the lower right hand corner. It has pink ribs on the back of the sepals.
    {{gwi:608025}}

Or even this one which I haven't a clue as to what it is or where it came from.

{{gwi:610928}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner