Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interior leaves turning brown

Posted by cateyanne zone 5/6 Northern Oh (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 13:05

I just recently observed some yellowing and brown leaves on my Sweet Autumn. This grows quite tall and thick on multiple trellis. Upon further investigation, the interior, hidden by the profuse leaves is turning brown. This is quite a favorite of mine and quite a show stopper in my yard, I really am worried that this browning, which is not obvious when you first look at it will spread and ruin my display as well as future blooms. It has never done this before. We did get an enormous amount of rain this year, which is affecting a lot of my plants, but it is in a well drained area and it is just (at least for now) the leaves in the interior. It is still growing, expanding to an additional trellis, which was added for it to spread onto. Just to give you an idea on the thickness of this clematis, if I reach in to touch the trellis it is on, my arm will be buried up to my elbow in clematis. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interior leaves turning brown

Normal as the interior isn't exposed to the sun. Do you prune it down every year? you are supposed to. This will help.

o

yes, believe it or not I prune down hard almost to the ground in spring. This clematis continues to grow beyond any trellising I have put up so far. We will be adding another very large structure for it next spring, hopefully this will allow it to stretch out even more and relieve some of the dense growth it seems to be experiencing. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem? ( if you can call this a "problem") I just cant' believe how far this clematis grows in a single short season. Others I know in my area are stunned by the size of this thing.

o

SAC is a monster. Not a problem, normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here