Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

My experiences with wilting Clematis (LONG)

buyorsell888
13 years ago

I went Clematis crazy about five years ago and went from half a dozen to losing count at sixty. I have had mixed results around my small yard.

Some have been big and lush and with hundreds of blooms. Others struggle and wilt every year. Some of the scraggly ones are over five years old. Long past the age where they should have grown out of it. I have finally figured out that it was not the plants it was where and how I planted them in my yard.

I thought hard pruning was the answer when I hard pruned many scragglers a few years ago it did work for most but I kept buying more and have realized that there are still quite a few that hard pruning did not fix. Hasnt hurt them but they are still scraggly with few blooms and a lot of them wilt. We had a sudden heat wave this year and wilting is worse than ever.

I gave some Clematis which wilted down every year or were weak growers to a friend and they took off like rockets in her root free amended raised bed. I mean they are freaking huge like Joe's on this Clematis Garden thread. I thought Ville de Lyon was a dog until I dug it up and gave it to her. I gave her Willy, Rosy OÂGrady and Asao too. They all immediately took off and grew and flowered like never before.

My friend has a big raised bed, more than twenty feet long and two feet high made with railroad ties and heavily bark dusted that was there when she bought the house. It is backed by a solid cedar fence and faces South. There are no big trees anywhere to cast shade or add roots. She has put up wire fencing over the cedar and planted Clematis along this fence. My cast-off Clematis are huge and gorgeous now. Her bed has clay that was mixed with bark and top dressed with bark for many years.

I did not dig huge holes, I did not put in a barrier, I did not amend the soil other than top dressing with compost. My husband chopped some of my planting holes with a post hole digger!

They grow but their root systems can't support them so they wilt down. In the hard clay they have not ever grown a big enough root system. They were all planted from gallon pots and were big and lush with many stems when I bought them.

Digging them all up and chopping up the clay and amending it and putting in a root barrier is going to be a major piece of work but I can't stand the scraggles and wilt anymore. I paid good money for all these Clematis (there are about twenty that I'm having weak, wilty growth on) and have to do something. The Clematis I planted in new beds that were amended and rototilled with no tree roots have always done well. It is just that half my yard is root infested clay and I planted all the Clems in that half, first.

So, my advice about scraggly wilting Clematis is this: First try hard pruning them in spring and maybe summer too even if they are type IIs that aren't supposed to be hard pruned. If that doesn't result in lush thick wilt free growth up from the crown then dig them up and chop up and amend the heck out of the planting area. Especially if you just stuck them in the ground in the first place. Go against current advice not to amend the planting holes in the first place. It canÂt hurt unless you make little amended "pots" in the soil structure. Try to amend the entire bed rather than small pockets.

Photos taken today of scraggly or wilting Clematis none of them are less than three years old, all have been repeatedly hard pruned and fertilized and composted. I also threw in some shots so you can see how big the neighbor's trees really are. BTW I think being weak lets them be more susceptible to insect damage too.

scraggly but not wilting Helsingborg and Josephine.

{{gwi:610967}}

wilting Violet Elizabeth and Sunset

{{gwi:610968}}

weak and chewed John Warren

{{gwi:610969}}

wimpy and chewed Hagley Hybrid and Richard Pennell

{{gwi:610970}}

wilting Helios, Barbara Harrington, Royalty and Mrs N Thompson

{{gwi:610971}}

You can see how tall the arborvitae hedge is here and how far the neighbor's fir trees behind me reach over my yard and how their roots kill my lawn every summer.

{{gwi:610973}}

A shot looking up at the fir trees, this isn't even half the height of the trees. As you can see the Pieris and Lilac 'Miss Kim' seem to do just fine under them but my Clematis are all pathetic....There are 7 Clematis all over 4 years old in this picture and you sure wouldn't know it....

{{gwi:610975}}

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Piilu taken on a rainy day in May out my front window

{{gwi:610976}}

Etoile Violette and Betty Corning

{{gwi:610977}}

Juuli slightly past her prime

{{gwi:610978}}

side yard wall o'Clems

{{gwi:610979}}

Shot of Daniel Deronda from last year

{{gwi:610980}}

• katie
    13 years ago

What a great report. The pictures really tell it all. I know the heartbreak of trying to grow clems in bad soil.

Katie

• judith5bmontreal
    13 years ago

I feel your pain, BorS. I have Norway Maples in front, and the neighbour's Giant Pine, Norway Maple and Green Ash towering over one side of my backyard. I've had fantasies of somehow poisoning those trees in the night....if that makes me an evil person, oh well...
    Anyway, a lot of your clematis look similar to some of mine, but at least mine are younger. It still scares me though, that maybe they won't have any more of a future than yours did. Thanks for posting,
    Judith

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flowerfan on this forum has planted in similar situations but she was smart enough to use five gallon buckets with the bottoms cut out as root barriers to the trees. She has been very sucesssful according to her fabulous photographs.

I should have redid mine when I read about hers years ago....I thought I could get away with just hard pruning but clearly not...

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this. I have greatly benefited from your experience with hard pruning that you shared. I find it extremely helpful when people post about what works for them and what doesn't. I also have some clems that go gangbusters and others that languish, and now I'm going to have to think about root competition and the like, rather than just saying that they're bad or good varieties. (That hedge truly is a monster.)

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought it was good or bad varieties until I gave some to my friend. I'd had Asao for five years and it was on the white trellis in back and just languished. I had Ville de Lyon for that long too.

I took the advice not to amend planting holes and not to prune Type I and II's to heart and it certainly didn't work for my garden.

• katie
    13 years ago

Let me tell you about my experience this year. While I don't have a root competition problem I do have soil that no matter how much I amend it will revert to hard red clay over several years. Last year many of my 5-8 year old clems did poorly. During the winter (yes I can garden here during much of the winter) I dug down and around the sides of the root ball of each one (200 of them). I did not disturb in the middle or underneath the root ball. I replaced the bad soil with good amended soil (including chicken manure) and fed each one at the same time - it took me about 2 months. This spring my clematis exploded. The blooms were fantastic. I can lose 10-15 clems a year, this year I may have lost 1 or 2. The results are incredible. I believe I will be redoing the soil around each one every 1-2 years in the future.

Katie

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

Katie, how did you estimate exactly where the side of the root ball would be? I think if I attempted this that I would hack up the roots.

• cohouser
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, buyorsell, for sharing your frustrations as well as your successes. I think it was only 3 years ago that I became clematis-crazed, and now that I have some experience, I'm seeing how much more experience I need! I'm having clems faint and disappear only to baffle me by popping back up with perky new growth a few weeks later; vines I thought were gone for good that had just snuck over into the midst of their neighbors and bloomed there; a viticella that should be all hardy and prolific turning out to have weak tangly stems and puny-looking flowers. I've planted them in the wrong place for their type, I've planted way too many too close together (still waiting for the dire consequences of that one, as they're young yet), I've planted very tall ones with not enough head room... and the list goes on. I had visions of solid walls of flowers, but so far most everyone (with a few happy exceptions) is looking kind of scraggly. But I still have hope! And I still love the little darlin's. Thanks for your advice. I see a whole lot more digging in my future.

• sharon_can
    13 years ago

This is nothing about wilting clematis, although I have plenty of them. I am attending the International Clematis Conference for a week starting Sept 6th and wondered what weather to expect if "buyorsell" from Portland would be so kind as to respond. "Joy Creek" is on our agenda of course. I am then touring down the coast for a week.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Normally it is dry and sunny that time of year. Rain is always possible especially on the Coast but dry and sunny would be normal even if there are morning clouds. 75-85* would be my guess in Portland and 10* cooler on the Coast.

• katie
    13 years ago

To Redsox, when I dug around the clematis I did not disturb the roots. Just amending and replacing the soil around the sides and on top of the roots made a great difference.

Katie

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012