Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulboy_gw

clematis on the fence?

beautifulboy
13 years ago

We have planted a jackamanii clematis in the garden near the fence. I would like it to grow up and then across the top of the fence. What is the beast way to train the clematis to do this? Do I need to install a trellis on the fence (we would do a wooden cedar trellis in that case)? Of could I get away with just tieing it with string? I have attached a picture below (from late May)... the new clematis has been planted a little right of center at the back of the garden by the fence (also, as I think of it, there is now a top 'cap' on the fence) Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: our back garden

Comments (5)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

IMHO The best thing for it to climb on it's own without a lot of help from you is wire livestock fencing. In my experience they do not climb cedar lattice or fan trellises well at all.

• katie
    13 years ago

I agree, it needs to climb on some kind of wire in front of the fence. I use green vinyl wire. It comes 3 and 4 ft high. I wrap all my 4 X 4 posts with it and also use it across metal arbors and trellis. Since you are growing Jackmanii you will be cutting it down every winter. (I cut mine back to 12" to 18"). Some people suggest letting it grow on string netting which can be cut down and thrown away every winter.

Katie

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

I've just got baby clems right now but I'm hoping to use wire, as they have mentioned, but take it down every winter. I often use galvanized screws & before I insert them, I spray the screwheads with Rustoleum, eg, a light brown to blend in with your fence. To paint screwheads, I take a cardboard box with plastic over it, insert screws in the cardboard & spray with 2 coats of Rustoleum a week apart. Maybe livestock fencing could be painted the same way in advance if you wished. The screws get screwed in & stay in forever.

I'm hoping to rest the weight of the fencing on the screws. Then use small pieces of wire to twist & attach the livestock fencing or green vinyl wire to the painted screws; untwist the small pieces of wire to take the fencing down in the winter, so my patio will look nice.

Also in wet Louisiana we wash wood buildings once a year to get the mildew off & my fencing would already be down when it's time to wash in the early spring. KISS - Keep It Simple and Sustainable. Go ahead & laugh at the spray paint that's not part of a green lifestyle! Katie mentions cutting it down every winter - maybe someone here in your zone can give you advice about timing. Good luck & please update us here if you find something interesting that works.

• beautifulboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone! Would anyone care to post some pictures? I am trying to imagine what others do..and it might be easier to get it right with a picture, if yu have some on hand.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

This is a private garden near me with over 100 Clematis, she covers her entire fence with this green wire and has Clematis planted the entire perimeter.

{{gwi:611017}}

{{gwi:611019}}

she wraps it around posts too

{{gwi:587254}}

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County