Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Ground Cover to Plant Near Clematis?

Posted by UncleHippie 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 13:25

Hi all,

I have a small garden on the side of a pergola where I am growing some Paul Farges clematis along two of the poles. There are also some small rose bushes planted in this bed. The garden is about 15 feet long and five feet wide. It is in partial shade. I was wondering if there is any ground cover you would recommend planting in this garden that will play nice with the clematis and the roses? I have thought about planting sweet woodruff, but I have heard that it can be invasive and choke out other plants. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Ground Cover to Plant Near Clematis?

Veronica 'Georgia Blue' plays well with others, stays neat even when not blooming and grows from mostly shade to full sun.
Cranberry the same, but it wants acid soil (doesn't need to be wetter than average.)

o

I like hardy geraniums, especially the low spreading kinds, as groundcovers for both roses and clematis. And since the geraniums seem to share a similar color palette with many of the clematis, it's pretty easy to find complimentary choices.

o

I have soapwort planted at the base of my sweet autumn clematis. the soapwort flowers beautifully in the spring and eary summer when the clematis is still growing and green, then is a nice dense green when the hot summer days come, keeping the sweet autumn's feet nice and cool. It stays a lovely green all through the clematis growing season.

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 11:18

I've seen soapwort in one of my gardening magazines and thought it was so pretty. Does it spread a lot? Can it be divided easiliy and successful? I planted purple alyssum by base of my new clematis that I planted this Spring. Not much growth on new clematis, and the alyssum fills in nicely but not a lot of color like I thought it would be. Did you start the soapworth from seeds or purchased a starter plant from a nursery or garden center? Is soapworth perennial or annual?

o

I ended up taking nhbabs suggestion and went with the Veronica 'Georgia Blue.' I planted it in early August, and the plants seem to be thriving. However, it hasn't really shown much in the way spreading yet. Does it take awhile for it to start branching out?

o

Right now it's probably growing roots and settling in. Next year it will fill out and begin to spread and will probably take off the following year.

o

I will just be patient. I had never heard of this plant before, but there are some awesome pictures of it online.

o

Here's my Veronica 'Georgia Blue.', which grows in mostly shade, in its third or fourth year from a single 1 quart pot.

From May, 2011

I like it enough that this year I got a couple other pots of it for other gardens.

o

Could try any of the Deadnettle cultivars (Lamium sp).....

o

Campanula dicksons gold

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here