Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unclehippie

What Ground Cover to Plant Near Clematis?

unclehippie
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have a small garden on the side of a pergola where I am growing some Paul Farges clematis along two of the poles. There are also some small rose bushes planted in this bed. The garden is about 15 feet long and five feet wide. It is in partial shade. I was wondering if there is any ground cover you would recommend planting in this garden that will play nice with the clematis and the roses? I have thought about planting sweet woodruff, but I have heard that it can be invasive and choke out other plants. Thank you for your help.

Comments (13)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Veronica 'Georgia Blue' plays well with others, stays neat even when not blooming and grows from mostly shade to full sun.
    Cranberry the same, but it wants acid soil (doesn't need to be wetter than average.)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I like hardy geraniums, especially the low spreading kinds, as groundcovers for both roses and clematis. And since the geraniums seem to share a similar color palette with many of the clematis, it's pretty easy to find complimentary choices.

• cateyanne
    10 years ago

I have soapwort planted at the base of my sweet autumn clematis. the soapwort flowers beautifully in the spring and eary summer when the clematis is still growing and green, then is a nice dense green when the hot summer days come, keeping the sweet autumn's feet nice and cool. It stays a lovely green all through the clematis growing season.

• pippi21
    10 years ago

I've seen soapwort in one of my gardening magazines and thought it was so pretty. Does it spread a lot? Can it be divided easiliy and successful? I planted purple alyssum by base of my new clematis that I planted this Spring. Not much growth on new clematis, and the alyssum fills in nicely but not a lot of color like I thought it would be. Did you start the soapworth from seeds or purchased a starter plant from a nursery or garden center? Is soapworth perennial or annual?

• unclehippie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up taking nhbabs suggestion and went with the Veronica 'Georgia Blue.' I planted it in early August, and the plants seem to be thriving. However, it hasn't really shown much in the way spreading yet. Does it take awhile for it to start branching out?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Right now it's probably growing roots and settling in. Next year it will fill out and begin to spread and will probably take off the following year.

• unclehippie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will just be patient. I had never heard of this plant before, but there are some awesome pictures of it online.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Here's my Veronica 'Georgia Blue.', which grows in mostly shade, in its third or fourth year from a single 1 quart pot.
    {{gwi:202703}}From May, 2011

I like it enough that this year I got a couple other pots of it for other gardens.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Could try any of the Deadnettle cultivars (Lamium sp).....

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Campanula dicksons gold

• cateyanne
    9 years ago

the soapwort I have, I purchased as a small plant in a nursery. It does indeed spread very quickly. though it does like the sun and will "reach" towards it if it's not getting enough. it is a profuse flowering ground cover. it is literally covered with gorgeous, small, candy pink flowers. and like I said, when blooms are done it stays green and lush. it is almost September and my sweet autumn is blooming out and the soapwort is thick and green. there may be other choices that bloom longer though. I have never tried to separate it, so I don't know how that would work. sorry

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

babs, i too love that veronica repens. i use it on the walls of our 'chasm' to hold the soil. i love it when it blooms. great suggestion.

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

uncle, I forgot to say that sweet woodruff was a destructive plant in one of my dry shade beds. I have tried to eliminate it. good choice you made w/ the GA. Blue!