Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: 3 year old Mystery Clematis growth explosion

Posted by LLLeeks 8-Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 14:15

A family member collected a mystery seed off a plant with gorgeous flowers but couldn't remember what they looked like so I planted it (3 years ago)to see what would happen. The seeds looked like clematis seeds and the leaves look a lot like my clematis montanas. The first two years the growth was slow and small. This year, however, the plant has exploded. The last picture of the three posted below was taken in April and the preceding two photos are the plant today. I haven't seen any blooms yet but the plant roots and spreads easily via the vines sprouting roots where they touch the ground. I fertilized the ground with steer compost before I transplanted the plant this spring but haven't added any more fertilizer.

I'm starting to get worried about the plants' voracity. I want to hang in there and see if it blooms next spring (assuming it's like a montana). Is it unheard of for a new clematis not to bloom at all until year four? Have I unwittingly planted something invasive for my area? I haven't had much luck id'ing this via pictures, especially since I don't know what the flowers look like.

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thank you!

Mystery Clematis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: 3 year old Mystery Clematis growth explosion

Completely normal for Clematis to explode in year three. Also normal for young plants not to bloom.

There is an invasive Clematis in our area, Clematis vitabla. It has small white flowers that I would not consider gorgeous...

I can't tell from the foliage which Clematis that is.

o
RE: Help: 3 year old Mystery Clematis growth explosion

I have that invasive one and it's a hard one to get rid of. If the vines are on the ground, they'll take root and spread more, so you may want to look them up to see if that's what it is. Mine was recently whacked back, so I don't recall what the leaf looks like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here