Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaredb77

Couple of questions since I want to do it right

Jared77
10 years ago

I'm designing a trellis that will be part of the supports for the gate to my vegetable garden for next year. I was going to sink 2 of 4"x4" posts that the fence would attach to and support the gate, then bring the trellis out from there using those 2 posts as the back of the trellis.

I'm thinking its going to be 36'' or 48" wide depending on what height of wire we use around the garden. The trellis would be 8' high, maybe 10' at the peak (if I have a peak haven't decided on how I want to build it exactly I'm still drawing it out).

My thought was to turn the wire 45 degrees and run a length of it vertical with the posts for support for the clematis to climb that's why the original wire fencing height would dictate how wide the trellis is. I'll have wire left over I'm sure or can plan for extra.

Its full sun there as the only shade we have is from the house. The clematis would be climbing on the E & W sides of the trellis.

On a trellis that wide can I plant 2 clematis on each side of the trellis? Or should I stick with 1 on each side and hope it fills in enough? I know they are long lived, I'm just trying to make sure I've got enough growing there so its leaving bare spots as it matures.

Our property is 2 acres square and the house is roughly in the middle. The trellis would be viewed from the back deck of the house, and the kitchen window.

Would it be better to 1 variety of clematis and really saturate the area with that color or could I get away with 2 varieties? I'm really looking at maximum effect since it will be viewed and enjoyed from a distance too. I'm wondering 2 different colored varieties would dilute the overall effect when viewed from farther back.

I was thinking of something like Jackmanii, or Ernest Markham, or Bouchaud, or Dominika, or Etolie Violette something that has a strong color to hold up when viewed at a distance.

If I added a 2nd variety I first thought of Henryi and one of the above to give it contrast but I'm really just fishing for ideas and feedback so if you have some other suggestions please fire away. The above ones I listed were just what I'd seen on Home of Clematis and thought might work and give an idea of what I was after as far as looks go.

I'd prefer to stick with Group 3 clematis since it would be easiest for me to simply prune them back and compost what I remove. Variety popularity isn't so much an issue either its really about a big wham! of color and dressing up what's otherwise a very utility looking area.

Also I know Clematis prefer cool feet, would planting some a shorter perennial around them do the trick? Any suggestions on what's a good maximum height for the perennials to shade the ground around the clematis?

Any thoughts, feedback, comments I'm all about. I look forward to your insight and help on this.

Thank you

Comments (4)