Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis ID and some questions....

Posted by tryingtodecorate 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 15:15

Can someone tell me what this clematis might be? I think it's on it's third season and so far it hasn't bloomed that much. It's in a pot and I wonder if I should plant it in the ground.

I just got a Henryi and I'm planting that by the fence. I think it's pruning group 2, so does mean if I plant a different variety by it, it needs to also be group 2?

Also, what pruning groups should you plant with roses? I'm thinking you wouldn't want group 1 because you'd have a hard time pruning it to the ground and removing all the vine from the roses. Is that right? The roses are Knockout Roses.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis ID and some questions....

Ok, I think I mixed up pruning groups 1 and 3 but hopefully you know what I mean.

o

Actually most people do plant type III hard prunes with roses because they are easy to whack to the ground and pull out at the same time you prune your roses.

The Clematis in the picture is a type III but I'm not sure which one. There are several similar. Tango, Minuet, and Palette come to mind.

Henryi is a II. Most people prefer to keep the pruning groups together or prune them all the same if possible.

o

Awww, thank you! I did a lot of searching online but didn't really find an answer to my question. Found lots of info and pictures but not the answers I was looking for. So now I know what to look for to plant with my roses and the Henryi.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here