Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened to my Clematis?

Posted by JoAnnaLee Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 15:30

I am just heart sick. I have an approx. 6 yr. old Clematis and it bloomed appr. 2-3 weeks ago. Beautiful, w/about 150 dark purple blooms. We've had a variety of weather and lots of rain. One morning I looked out and all the blooms were wilted over. It had gotten very cold one night (think the night before), down to the 40s, but I don't think there was frost. I thought once the weather warmed up the blooms would spring back to life, but they didn't and now the whole plant looks dead! Everything. A few leaved with green in the middle, but browning from the outside. I am just sick! Thoughts? Cud it have been the cold? I also sprayed whole garden for bugs, but can said safe for all plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened to my Clematis?

Could have been the spray you used. Labels have known to be wrong....

Cut it back and fertilize it wit a nice organic fertilizer and keep it well watered.

o

Was the can an aerosol? If so, the propellant can "freeze" plant tissues it's too close to.

o

Actually, I shouldn't have said can. It was a plastic bottle that you hook up to the hose. It's a concentrate of sorts.

o

Spraying an entire garden for bugs can be extremely detrimental. One should always spot treat for a specific problem rather than randomly poisoning an entire garden. Many chemicals can cause damage in heat/sun/drought when they might not at other times of the year.

o

Look up clematis wilt. I had it happen once and what a shocker it was. Good news, the plant sends up healthy new growth.

o

With dark purple blooms chances are it is a Type III and they usually don't wilt. Six year old Clems usually don't wilt either it is a problem of newly planted Clematis.

o

If it was problem with the spray, do you think it will come back this or next year?

Also, thanks much for your responses and support.

o

The only way to know is to cut it back and fertilize it and keep it well watered. If it is just cosmetic damage it should pop back this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here