Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alleycallie_gw

Zone 6 Jackmanii pruning/transplanting?

alleycallie
16 years ago

Twenty-seven years ago, my mother planted a Jackmanii (Sorry, don't know how to spell it) in her yard near a very small new Bradford pear tree. The pear tree is now huge and shades the clematis. In the past few years it has bloomed well, but only once in May, then it is done. I think it is not getting enough sun. Is this correct? This spring we had a very late freeze, and it didn't flower much at all, so I'm assuming we got so few blossoms because of that freeze. Now the vines are black and dead looking.

I moved back to the midwest only a few years ago, and so I don't know what it did 20 years ago when the tree was much smaller.

My mother, who is now 90, thinks we ought to cut it way back this fall. On the other hand, from the little I've read, I think it also needs to be moved, but I know absolutely nothing about clematis plants. Can they be successfully cut back and transplanted elsewhere? I am on the cusp of zone 5/6 in north central Kansas, so when should I either prune it, or if transplanting, when do I transplant it?

Thanks for any help. Alleycallie.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH