Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 6 Jackmanii pruning/transplanting?

Posted by alleycallie 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 15:41

Twenty-seven years ago, my mother planted a Jackmanii (Sorry, don't know how to spell it) in her yard near a very small new Bradford pear tree. The pear tree is now huge and shades the clematis. In the past few years it has bloomed well, but only once in May, then it is done. I think it is not getting enough sun. Is this correct? This spring we had a very late freeze, and it didn't flower much at all, so I'm assuming we got so few blossoms because of that freeze. Now the vines are black and dead looking.

I moved back to the midwest only a few years ago, and so I don't know what it did 20 years ago when the tree was much smaller.

My mother, who is now 90, thinks we ought to cut it way back this fall. On the other hand, from the little I've read, I think it also needs to be moved, but I know absolutely nothing about clematis plants. Can they be successfully cut back and transplanted elsewhere? I am on the cusp of zone 5/6 in north central Kansas, so when should I either prune it, or if transplanting, when do I transplant it?

Thanks for any help. Alleycallie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 6 Jackmanii pruning/transplanting?

It should be cut back hard every spring. Try that before moving it.

o

After 20 years in one spot, the plant should have gotten established enough that it should be well up into the tree and able to get adequate sunlight when it reaches it maximum size each year. I personally would be very hesitant to attempt to move a clematis that has been in the ground that long since the root ball is most likely huge. I agree with cutting it back hard in the spring to make sure that it has been treated as a type III. If that fails, I would next consider attempting to transplant it.

One thing to consider is that clematis, although long lived, don't live for ever. If the plant has not been pruned correctly, watered adequately or fertilized over those 27 years, it might possibly be at the end of its life time. Just something to consider if all else fails.

The spring freeze should not have affected the blooming of your clematis. Even if it got frozen back to the ground, it should have bloomed well since it is a type III which means it should be pruned hard each and every year.

o

I recently read that a Jackmanii can do well without a pruning for 3 years, but after that it should be cut back. Cut it back, fertilize in spring and see how it does.

o

That info Janet runs contrary to most popular thought that all clematis should be cut back the first couple of years to help develop root systems. I would be interested to hear where that idea was written.

o

Thanks for the sauggestions, I will try all. Glad to know it should be pruned in spring and not fall, as my Mom wanted to do it this fall. Alleycallie

o

I had the 27 year old Jackmanii in mind, which was the subject of the post. Reading it again, I realize I was rather vague.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here