Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodio

Montana Rubens hardy in zone 5b?

yodio
15 years ago

I confess... I went into Home Depot for hardware and came out with the biggest rooted, most multi-stemmed, longest vined clematis I've seen all year. These are amazing! They only had Mrs. Robert Brydon, Polish Spirit and Montana Rubens. So I got myself a gorgeous Montana Rubens, with something like 10 thick stems, for $15. (Compared to the tiny 2 stemmer I got at Lowes for $12.)

BUT now I get home and see that Montana is not hardy in zone 5? The tag on this one said 5-9. Ugh.

Advice please?

Oh, and I was looking for clematis to put on a north face, between hydrangeas. I know Montana prefers sun, but was hoping it could do okay in light shade, since they're so prolific?

Comments (6)

• charlottev
    15 years ago

Good luck. I hope it does but don't hold your breathe! It will survive for a while, but then will succumb. But then, you never know for sure. They are beautiful fast growing clematis and well worth trying.

• adiro
    15 years ago

Sorry to say this, but there is a slight chance that you actually don't have a Montana, I don't know where you are located, but I've been in several Home Depot's and I acquired two Montana's , with beautiful tags, and they both turned out to be Elsa Spath.... I was there yesterday again, and all the Montana clematis had other tiny tags on the bottom saying other names ( president, sartho gem, etc) Sure the Home Depot in Toronto messed up all tags....otherwise, I know for sure I really wish myself for a Montana.....

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    15 years ago

Well, if it IS a Montana, I don't know whether it will make it. I have only tried once, so I'm no expert, but the one I tried didn't make it and I blamed the zone and never tried again. I'm also in a 5b, I think.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

If you are concerned plant her in a warmer micro area of your gardens and pray!!..LOL..if you could post a pic of her leaves we can help you figure out if she is a Montana or not as the leaves are different than others..they are jagged around the edges...Jeanne

• yodio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I know you're an expert so thanks for responding on this thread. Will get my camera out and take some photo. I also went and got a Polish Spirit today. Not quite as big and strong but almost! How much will I like Polish Spirit? Is it worth it to get 2? One for between (and above) my hydrangeas on the north face of my garage and another for my lamp post? They act like jackmanii, right? Please watch here for photos, I'll post later tonight. Thanks!

• yodio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Didn't manage to get the camera out there before it was time to get the kids ready for bed but the leaves ARE serrated. Unlike Ville de Lyon, Polish Spirit and Dr. Ruppell, which all have pointy smooth-edged leaves. So I think it IS a montana, and will have to be returned, as I can't bear the work and heartache of raising a clematis that is at least 1 if not 2 zones too winter-fragile. So sad! This thing is GORGEOUS, and what will happen to it here in KC? Why did they even ship it here?