Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with I.D. this isn't Vino...

Posted by pmermakov z5-6OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 15:53

Hi,
This spring I ordered Vino (indirectly from Donahues) and was surprised with how vigorous the vine was for being a type 2 clematis. Anyway, in July it started to bloom and it obviously isn't Vino. My question is, what is it? The size of the bloom is similar to Jackmanii, the color is a fairly light purple, but not as light colored at Betty Corning. I keep thinking it might be Victoria or maybe Prince Charles, but of course I do not know... Any help with I.D.ing this one is most appreciated!
--Mercy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with I.D. this isn't Vino...

My Prince Charles is quite a bit bluer than that.

o

Definitely NOT Prince Charles.

Other than that, sorry, but I can't help you.

Kate

o

Could possibly be Victoria.I got one last year but it didn't bloom. I thought I had lost it over the Winter as it was very slow to break through the surface soil, It isn't growing very fast with the heat we have been having, so still no flowers.

If they have them stored by alphabet, maybe the Vino & Vic labels got mixed, at least on the plant you got.

o

It looks like my 'Emilia Plater', but Donahue's doesn't carry that.

I think it's some type of Vitcella and is blooming at the right time.

I'm not sure how true to life the color of your photos are, but there aren't many blue type 3's that Donahues carries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Donahue's clematis

o

It is definitely a viticella

o

Hi, Thanks everyone for your feedback. After looking at many pictures and reading discriptions, I am fairly sure that it is Victoria. The size of the flower seems much to big to be a viticella (it is larger than my Venosa Violacea). At anyrate, it is for my own garden and I am fine about not knowing for sure!

o

pmermakov ... yes, it looks like 'Victoria' to me.

Terrance

o

Here's an article on 'Victoria' from the International Clematis Society.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Clematis Society 'Victoria'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here