Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew

Posted by bogart 6 Ont. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 16:19

All my Clematis have come up gangbusters this year, perhaps because of the wet summer last year and this year's wettish and cool spring.

The downside is that most (aside from Texensis) are now starting for the first time ever to show signs of powdery mildew on the leaves - the Viticella even on the petals.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew

I have a lot of mildew in my garden this year too, especially on several of my roses. I would think you could spray your clematis with the cornell formula (baking soda, hort oil and water) or Safer's Defender (a prepared sulphur-based fungicide). As far as I know, they wouldn't damage your clems. Perhaps someone who has tried these methods will comment on their effectiveness. I have also heard of hosing the affected plants down early in the morning on a sunny day and letting them dry off. (Of course, you would spray the fungicides AFTER you did that:)) It's supposed to 'wash off' the spores.
Judith

o
RE: Mildew

I'm getting rid of some that mildew every year. I just don't have time to spray. I never had mildew until I introduced some viticellas and texensis.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here