Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excess clems

Posted by cohouser CO5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 16:19

Back when there were lots of clems for sale locally, I bought a few too many and didn't get them all planted before summer temperatures arrived. A couple of them started to look kind of iffy, so I sank them into the ground in their pots. They perked up very impressively, so now I'm doing them same for the others, to keep them happy until the weather gets cooler and I've figured out where the heck I'm going to put them.

Here's my question: I'd like to cut them back so they don't get all tangled up with one another (I have to sink them close together). But will that encourage root growth and cause them to get rootbound in their pots? I'm still trying to get the hang of cutting back when it's not on the regular pruning schedule.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excess clems

I cut one back today. I seem to always have several dozen plants in pots waiting to be planted.....

o

I see that having a pot ghetto is not a phenomenon limited to rose growers, lol!

Sorry I can't offer you any advice. I am too newb to have any. :o)

o

I tell my husband it is a "nursery"

Several dozen is a low estimate......

o

So, BorS, you're comfortable cutting back even in summer when necessary -- can you give me your rationale? I've gotten the impression that when you cut back, you stimulate root growth, and isn't this potentially a bad thing when a well-developed clem is in a pot?

Than I've also gotten the impression that when you prune, you stimulate top growth, which is why pruning generally isn't done in the fall; but I've been told it would be OK in the situation where my place is going to be painted in September or October and I've got clems close to the house.

So I'm trying to get these things clear in my mind and... I'm confused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here