Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis to grace a stone retaining wall

Posted by graficaamy 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:25

Will Clematis be willing to grow along the top of a stone retaining wall 15" wide, ideally skimming along and occasionally looping down to visually soften the wall? It's perfectly OK if some stems sprawl around on the ground behind the wall, in fact some can scramble up into the boxwood and holly that are alongside where I'll plant the clematis.

Plants will be protected by some ground-level shading, and direction I want them to grow along is towards the sun ;-)

I'm looking for late blooming and fragrant! Colorful large blossom or multitude of small blossoms -- anything could work.

I've considered Sweet Autumn but worried it's too humungous plus I'm not happy about possible invasive tendencies.

Anyone have suggestions or pictures of your Clematis along a stone wall? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis to grace a stone retaining wall

Hi there. I haven't grown anything along a stone wall but I thought I'd make a suggestion on clematis for you since you mentioned SAC but were hesitant!

There is a new clematis called Sweet Summer Love Clematis that I purchased a few weeks ago from a local nursery. It's similar to SAC but it blooms earlier, longer, and is less invasive than SAC. It has bright purple blooms as well. Since it's new I don't have much feedback on it yet but it looks very promising. Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something just lovely.

Michaela

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Summer Love Info

o
RE: Clematis to grace a stone retaining wall

I visited a garden this summer on a Garden Conservancy Open Days tour that had clematis and climbing roses growing up a mortared stone wall and along the top which was probably about the same width as yours. They had used screw eyes and thin wire to guide the roses and clems up the wall and along the top. Lee Valley makes a trellis system that uses wire and some type of epoxy to attach the fasteners, and I've attached a link below to one thread, but a search on this forum (scroll down on main page to just above the new post section) may turn up more thread on it. I don't have one so I can't give an opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley wall trellis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here