Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible, is my clematis dead

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 17:47

I planted a lot of new ones this year. One of them is dead looking. Does this seem normal? Will come back next year? I am trying to be hopeful. I know they are past their blooming stage, and that is why I have hope.

Thank you,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible, is my clematis dead

Could you describe what it looks like and the name??..If it's a pruning group 2 and didn't wilt (you'll know cause the vines and leaves turn black..whereas just turning brown isn't wilt) you can prune above the 2nd or 3rd leaf axil..water and it might come back..if it wilted cut even with the soil..clematis can come back in a few weeks by putting out new leaves from the leaf axil or just shooting up new vines from the soil...or they can skip a year and return the next...just stay ontop of you watering for they like to have their roots stay moist...Jeanne

o

Carla in our zone (I live in Kernersville, NC) a lot of type IIs can turn brown in the heat of the summer. I just recently cut a bunch of my type IIs back because they had turned mostly brown. Do as Jeanne suggested-cut them back severely, give them plenty of water and fertilize with either an organic slow release fertilizer, a regular slow release inorganic fertilizer, or even alfalfa pellets and you should have resprouting and reblooming in late summer/early fall.

o

Cut it back and keep it watered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here