Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Spring AND Fall Bloomers

steve1young
10 years ago

I know there are a number of Clematis that will bloom in Spring AND Fall. From your experience, could you please share a few that bloom during both seasons most consistently? Thank you!

Comments (4)

• steve1young
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I'm finding so far. Would you agree?

Clematis âÂÂHagley Hybridâ - Soft pink flowers are 5-6" across and have ruffled edges and red anthers. Vigorous grower. Blooms June and September. Soil Condition: Normal. Full Sun to Mostly Sunny. Zones: 4-10. Height: 7-8'. Pruning Type 3.

Clematis âÂÂMrs. N. Thompsonâ - Deep blue red petals with a scarlet central bar. Blooms May, June, and September. Large flowers (4-6"). Height: 4-9'. Full Sun to Mostly Sunny. Zones: 4-10. Soil Condition: Normal. Pruning Type 2.

Clematis âÂÂPiiluâ - On mature plants, the first flush of blooms appear from the old wood as 3-4" double or semi-double light pink flowers with rose bars. However, in the early Fall the single flowers of similar coloring bloom from the current season's growth. Clematis Piilu is noted for being one of the heaviest blooming clematis. Blooms May through July and September. Height: Tall 4-6'. Sun-Shade: Full Sun. Zones: 4-10. Soil Condition: Normal. Pruning Type 2.

• cateyanne
    10 years ago

I can't help you here, sorry. But I was hoping someone would post with suggestions, because I just recently found out that there are indeed clematis that bloom twice. Was wondering if anyone has experience with a variety with this feature in my zone. The area I am thinking of placing it would get intense sun for the majority of the day, with shade very early and again very late in the day. Any ideas? Also, is there a company or catalog that is know for featuring clematis? Our area nurseries all carry the same varieties every year and I'm looking for something different. Thanks!

• steve1young
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've found Joy Creek Nursery to be a great source for Clematis offerings and information. Best of luck!

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    10 years ago

I know lots of information says that clematis blooms twice a year, but my experience is that the spring bloom is fabulous and anything after that is less than awe-inspiring. My Hagely Hybrid and Mrs. Cholmondeley just rebloomed, with about 3 blooms each. Maybe if I fertilized and watered better after the first flushes I'd have more luck, but as it is, it's not mind-blowing, and it usually isn't "fall" either, since they just finished doing it a week ago.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting