Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Please advise me on buying mail order clems, in August.

luxrosa
13 years ago

I finally bought a house and have room to plant my collection of antique roses from the 1800's, and before, and I'd like to plant 2-3 clematis, that were introduced in the 1800's or species clem, with the roses.

I'm looking for a clematis named

"Etoille de Violette" to grow with a lovely old yellow climbing rose named "Marechel Niel".

-The problem is that I wanted to buy from silverstarvinery.com because my neighbor raves about the size of the plants she gets from that nursery but they stop shipping in June.

would it be better to wait 9 months to buy from silverstarvinery.com or should I take a chance on a more distant nursery that ships smaller plants? I live c. 10 miles from San Francisco, Ca. and am concerned about the condition that smaller plants will arrive in, if they were shipped during the hot month of August from back east or the midwest.

Is there another clematis nursery that sells large rooted plants, as silverstarvinery.com does, and that ships year round? I live in a frost free area and would like to take advantage of this climate, and I'm eager to start planting.

Thanks very much,

Luxrosa

Comments (5)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Have you looked around locally? I found it locally here. I have had to mail order very few and haven't had the best luck with mail ordered Clematis.

Joy Creek Nusery in Scappoose OR does mail order and they are thought of highly on this board.

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

Agree with BOS. If you buy a gallon pot locally you will get a nice size plant and save due to no shipping costs.

• iris_9
    13 years ago

Last June I ordered Huldine and Sweet Autumn Clematis from Digging Dog Nursery in Albion, CA which is on the Mendocino Coast. I live in central CA where we have very hot summers so I was apprehensive about ordering them in the summer. Our local nurseries just don't have much variety or I would have bought from them. The plants arrived in excellent condition although the containers were small. I potted them up in 1 gallon containers and didn't plant them in the ground until the weather cooled in the fall. They seem to be fine, although growing slowly. I also bought Perle d'Azur from Digging Dog at the SF Flower & Garden show in March and it too is doing fine.

• katie
    13 years ago

I live in Grass Vally and make at least one trip a year over to the Marin-Sonoma area to go nursery hopping. Some of the best nurseries I've ever seen are there such as Cottage Gardens in Petaluma and Sonoma Horticultural a little further north. They both have one gallon clematis although their stock may be low this time of year. Another wonderful nursery to visit is Sonoma Mission Gardens in Sonoma.

I do not plant clematis if the temperature gets above 80 to 85 during the day. For this reason I will not plant here until mid September. They still have a long fall to get established.

Katie

• bob414
    13 years ago

I agree with Katie about Cottage Gardens and Sonoma Horticultural Nurseries. If you are up to a 40-50 mile drive to the Petaluma area they have gallon sized clematis at good prices. $13 each at Cottage Gardens and $12 each at Sonoma Horticultural. I was at Cottage Gardens last week and they have a good supply of gallon sized plants. I haven't been to Sonoma Horticultural this year but they usually have a good supply in the Spring but run out of many varieties this time of year. You can google them and get their phone numbers and call to see if they have a particular variety.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting