Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to expect from C. viorna?

Posted by greenhaven N Illinois 4b-5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 18:05

I amn very, very excited to have found this beautiful vine! I have two on order, hopefully for immediate shipment.

I am not sure what exactly to expect though; how long until first bloom? How vigorous is it? How big does it get in your zone? How much will it grow the first year? (The containers say 14 oz. size).

Anything else you wish to offer will be fine, too! Did I say I was excited?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to expect from C. viorna?

It's a beauty, and in general a little less hardy/vigorous for me than pitcheri and crispa. I only have seed-grown plants and in their 3rd year they're hardly full size yet, but after each winter the pitcheris and crispas come up much sooner and with more growth. Keep it well mulched and/or in a protected spot this winter.

o

Awesome, thanks, michael! One of the reasons I chose this particular one was I needed it to confine itself to an eight-foot trellis. Do pitcheri or crispa meet this requirement?

o

Pitcheri is the tallest, easily contained on an 8' trellis with some flopping at the top if necessary. Viorna is next, crispa the shortest. All of these that I have are seed-grown, so I can't be sure they're pure (except for some of the local pitcheris), so take that info with a grain of salt.

o

Thanks again, Michael. I will look into pitcheri, for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here