Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs, Disease or Wilt?

Posted by westy1941 z5 NO IL (cdwestg@comcast.net) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 18:35

A new one with only two 6-foot vines (Dorothy something) lavender - one vine looked funny two weeks ago and I thought it was broken because the top started to wilt. Then this week the leaves are black at the edge and some are almost all brown/black. I just went out to investigate and I see some white slightly powdery but barely-there stuff on the wood parts but not on leaves. I thought I saw some bug scramble away from that powder - sort of a triangle shape. What is this? I have five other clems just a foot away from this one. I did cut the icky vine off almost to the ground. Whaddayathink?

Westy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs, Disease or Wilt?

Westy, it sounds like clematis wilt and a coincidence of an insect laying eggs on the stem. I recently had to cut back two clems due to wilt. I also have been seeing the white powder and a little grey/white triangular bug in the same bed laying eggs on my hosta flower stems. Tis the season. When those eggs hatch they will munch on whatever they have been nested on. Wipe it off with a damp rag and then give it a spraying of soap and water to make the plant less tasty to eat. I sprayed my lilies last year when the same nest appeared and it worked well. 1 TBSP of dish soap to a quart of water in a hand sprayer is the amount you need. This also worked well with japanese beatles.

Good luck,

Tracy

o

I thought I had a mystery Clematis failure with a vine planted this Spring until the Armillaria (honey fungus) mushrooms appeared in the pot. So I duly decided that the fungus had gotten the Clematis, even though the Japanese Maple in the same container is just fine, and even though I've observed Clematis doing just fine in other areas of my garden next to honey fungus colonies. It turns out it wasn't wilt, wasn't fungus, wasn't bugs (well, not directly): It was rampaging kitten CHASING bugs and tearing up the vine as he raced after the bugs. The reason the Clematis in the other container (also containing a Japanese Maple) is doing okay is because there's a pot of cane begonias blocking his route through the Clematis.

o

Tracyvine - are you saying that you spray your plants with your dishsoap mixture and it has deterred Japanese Beetles? They're a real scourge in my garden and I'd be interested in anything that might help. What kind of dishsoap do you use and how often do you respray it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here