Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May have killed Henryi! :(

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 18:44

I planted a Henryi clem that I got at Brushwood nurseries this spring. I planted in mid May. He looked great for a time but started browning from the ground up. It eventually spread to the whole little plant. I did cut him back then to the ground (on June 22nd). Nothing has come back, and I'm afraid that he was too young yet to survive :(
Do you think I killed him or is there a small chance he'll come back next spring? He was afterall only planted this spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May have killed Henryi! :(

I had a mature henryi which started doing the same thing.Every year it got worse and after the second year of doing this and cutting it back it did not return.I was so disappointed it was really beautiful in bloom.I have no idea what caused this problem since I have many other Clematis which are still thriving.

o

I have lost many clematis plants and they were almost always the youngest ones, but I have also had many more come back after I thought they were dead. I always give mine at least two full years before I declare them officially dead, and have still been surprised sometimes. Don't give up on Henryi yet - it may still surprise you!

o

Thanks! I am stil hoping for the best. It did have a great root system (as it was from Brushwood) lots of foilage, and I did make sure to bury the first set of nodes. So, you never know!
Last year plant Crystal Fountain last spring, and accidentally cut him down to a small 6 inch stump with no leaves last year, and he came back with a vengence! And that was a new plant too!

o

Give it a shot of fertilizer, it will probably be fine. I've never had one actually die other than ones that were received DOA or almost DOA from mail order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here