Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Seed Pods in Clusters?

Posted by BarneysMom1 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 18:47

I inherited 2 clematis plants and got an Earnest Markham and Doctor Ruppell from a nursery. This is their first year. Several months ago the inherited plants had a couple single purple flowers. Nothing from the EM or DR. Now I have what looks like clusters of seeds?! And they are everywhere. I can't tell which plant(s) they are from. Is this normal for them to go to seed and skip blooming? I've never grown them before and won't take offense to pointers for next year. Picture attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Seed Pods in Clusters?

Those are flower buds, not seed heads. And at this time of year I would assume it is either from a SAC or Clematis virginiana. Given the smooth edges on the leaves, I'm going with SAC :-))

o

Since this is their first year, keep pinching EM and DR to keep them compact and help the roots get established. Also hard prune them after frost for 1-2 years regardless of their pruning requirements. This will help them become stronger plants and more stems will come from the base to make a fuller plant and more blooms the second and/or third year.

o

If you want to know what a real Clematis seed head looks like there is one in your picture centre of the bottom right quadrant. The spiky-looking ball thing which will later become fluffy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here