Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help newly planted clematis not doing well.

Posted by TomNorthJersey none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 19:38

A couple of days ago I planted two Piilu clementis plants about 5' away from each other.

One is doing well. The other has lost it's petals and has gone limp. I don't know what to do. Same watering, soil and sun for both.

I planted both the same. Big whole. Amended soil with organic potting soil mix, watered. Mulched. Have been watering 2x a day as directed by the garden center.

Could I have accidentally damaged the stems while planting? I had some difficulty removing the reeds on that one. If so what should I do?

What other possible causes might there be?

Not great with plants. Posted more questions when I first planted here http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg0617144513951.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help newly planted clematis not doing well.

Watering twice a day is not necessary except sometimes for potted plants in extreme heat.

They need to be planted deeper than the nursery pot. Having their crowns exposed isn't good.

It is normal for flowers on newly planted plants to drop their petals and be done.

I would cut them both back myself but many others do not do so when planting.

o
RE: Help newly planted clematis not doing well.

It's been fairly hot here this week. The plants seem to be doing better. I'm starting to get a handle on the watering now.

I'll consider cutting it back if things change.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here