Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Josephine, What to do?

Posted by organic_kitten 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 20:53

I am so excited! My Josephine came today and she has four beautiful vines, and her roots are very good, but she is a Donahue, so small enough to need to be potted in a one gallon pot until fall and I need to cut the vines way back too, is this right?

Since she isn't blooming, cutting her back is doable now. I have read the things all of you knowledgable clematis growers have written and read your advice to other newbies regarding the need to cut back the vines on new aquisitions so the energy can go into making roots.

Since finding this forum, I have become obsessed with clematis. I now have five, twelve more are ordered from Chalk Hills, and my list of "have to haves" gets longer every day.

I really appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge. I know you will save me many mistakes, but I also know I can count on making some mistakes regardless.

Thank you for your help.
Kay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Josephine, What to do?

As a pretty avid gardener, please do not worry about making 'mistakes'. The fun of gardening is to get plants you're not familiar with, to grow. Maybe you'll not get the optimal growth, but as long as you don't out-and-out kill the plant, have fun with it ---- you want the plant to thrive and bloom. Don't get hung up with doing everything 100% right.

o

Thank you. I have become obsessed with clematis. I look at the retail websites for what is or will be available, I buy books and read them. I spend hours on this forum...so far I am reading the 34th page back on this forum. My DH is not quite sure what to think about it.
Kay

o

Kay ...welcome to the world of Clematis Fanatics!! The main thing to remember is that Clematis LOVE to have their roots stay moist...if not...they will die..so in choosing places to plant them..keep that in mind..also remember they take a good 3 years to be glorious. So never allow those inbetween years to discourage you.Even if they wilt and seem as if they have died..always keep watering that spot and they will 99% of the time come back!!...Jeanne

o

Jeanne,
thank you so much for answering me. I have read so many of the messages you have written on this forum over the last couple of years.

I actually had two clematis that I knew little about,and they had been just sitting in my yard for three years until this year when I was overwhelmed by the beautiful blossoming of one of them. I now own five clematis, and have ordered 12 more from Chalk Hill and I am making a list to order from Silver Star. After all, she is having a sale, right?

DH just shakes his head.

Also, I am now diligently watering the clematis that had survived not only my neglect, but the drought we've had here the last couple of years. They did receive water pretty regularly since I watered the border they were in, but they didn't get a lot of fertilizer of any kind.

Hopefully they appreciate the new routine.

Kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here