Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting ends

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 21:25

I have a Sweet Autumn clematis, that I planted earlier this spring. It is growing fine, but have noticed some of the ends are wilting. Is this because it is new, and the roots have not caught up to the vine growth? Should I pinch the ends? I planted it in a part sun location, at the base of a small elm tree, about 1' from the base, I dug a large hole, and I added a lot of good compost to the soil when I planted.

Thank you
Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting ends

I had a similar experience.... although some say not, I am sure it was "clematis wilt". It was the second year for mine and it grew fast, and then just kept wilting. I finally pulled it out! Apparently, there is no cure and it is not contagious, so if you do have wilt, you can safely plant another one in the same place. Good luck!

o
RE: Wilting ends

You know, some of my newly planted started doing the same thing. Unfortunately I don't know what kind she is. Unabeled, I bought it for the surprise. The tips and little buds just turn black, and bend some bud bend 180 degrees, hanging dead. I suspect it's insect damage, because I see some black frilled damage on other young leaves before they start wilting.
I sure hope that Wesgate is mistaken, I would cry to have to pull mine out, I just bought her a trelis too. I"ve read about clematis coming back from the dead as late as two years after the fact, so I would not dig anything out, just plant something else nearby if it becomes an eyesore spot. and yes, I throw away the wilted pieces, I trim them somewhere underneath the damage, if I can.
I hope somebody with more experience will come along and answer your question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here