Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking to plant a Clematis and help my existing one

Posted by sgtwarpig 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 21:35

I currently have a Jackmanii and it doesnt do very well I have tried cutting it back in the fall and also letting it be for the winter either way I only get new growth from the ground and very few flowers. I am looking to plant a new Clematis I would like to find one that possibly blooms all summer in zone 5 and I prefer the larger flowers compared to the smaller ones. Any suggestions for what I might purchase or how to bring my Jackmanii back to life.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking to plant a Clematis and help my existing one

Fiirst, no clematis blooms all summer. Pruning group 2 clems (also known as the large flowered hybrids) typically start blooming in May (sometimes as early as April) but usually fizzle out by July. With a light trimming at that time, many will produce a second bloom flush in late summer or early fall.

Pruning group 3 clems - like Jackmanii - can start blooming as early as mid June (July is more typical) and will often continue on until well into fall. But these flower on the current season's growth and so look their best if cut back hard every year in late winter. Jackmanii is one of the most prolific blooming and easier clematis to grow. Try pruning it more severely (down to the second or third set of buds from the base or about 12-18") in March and fertilize after pruning with a good rose fertilizer. Mulching well with compost won't hurt either. I'd bet you see much better performance from this vine going forward.

o

I'm in zone 5 and my longest blooming clem is Rooguchi, hands down, but it has a smaller bloom than you may want, and it's bell-shaped, but I think it still makes quite an impact, and it's very easy for me.

o

Yes agree with gardengal, Jackmanii a winner for show and hardiness your zone. Is he new? All clems can be erratic first few years and then, wam! Gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here