Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill14150

Looking for White Clematis in PG 3 - Any suggestions?

bill14150
10 years ago

I have an old wooden swing set that I have turned into a large Clematis arbor in 2012. I have 10 Clems all different varieties and colors, all in pruning group 3, planted on one end of it and want to add another white one. (I already have one white one, Huldine) I already have one John Huxtable planted elsewhere and am trying to find a different variety to add to the swingset arbor. I have looked for other group 3 whites and the only one I came upon was C. alba luxurian. Does anyone know how large the flower is on luxurian? I don't want a tiny flowering variety like paniculata or a nodding bell type. I would be very greatful if anyone knows of another PG3 type with a 3" or larger flower.

Comments (14)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    10 years ago

Are you aware of the Clematis on the Web website? It's an amazing resource when you're looking for this kind of information. You can search for white clematis that's pruning group 3 and then look up the answers they give you to see photos of most of them. A lot of them aren't ones I've seen for sale, but I've always found what I was looking for if I started with the name of a clematis in commerce now. Good luck and have fun.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I can't think of any that fit all your requirements, but there are several that almost do, having white along with another color: 'Venosa Violacea' has purple veining, 'Fond Memories' has a purple picotee edge, and 'Best Wishes' has purple speckles down the center of each tepal. All have a significant amount of white in them and so might give you the effect you want.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

There are several on this site

Here is a link that might be useful: Home of clematis

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

C. alba luxurians has gorgeous nodding-bell flowers, edged in green. It's one of my favorites, but may not meet your requirements. What about the old stand-by, Henryi? Or, to name others I have (or had): C. lanuginosa candida, Marie Boisselot, Hyde Hall, Mrs. George Jackman.

• bill14150
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you garystpaul. What is the diameter of the C. alba luxurians flower when in bloom? That actually does meet my requirements as far as pruning group goes (looking for group 3) but I'd like to know the size of the flower. The others you mentioned are beautiful, but they are all pruning group 2. I have a Henryi in another location and love it. I don't want to mix a pruning group 2 clem with the bunch of pruning group 3 clems I'm attempting to establish on one side of a pergola. Thanks! Bill

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Clematis on the Web gives C. alba luxurians as being 3". Below I've linked the search engine. If you type in a name, just using one word in the name works best. I found C. alba luxurians using just alba.

I also used it to look for clematis with your requirements, and found that there really aren't many other than what's been mentioned here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search page

This post was edited by nhbabs on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:47

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

3" is about what my flowers are; a very profuse bloomer, by the way.

Gary

• bill14150
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so very much nhbabs and garystpaul! alba luxurians it is!! It fits all my bills having the 3" flower. And thanks nhbabs for the 'one word search' advice on 'clematis on the web' site. I searched there, but used lots of words and luxurians didn't come up. One other that did was viticella 'Peveril Pristine'. It too is 3", is by Barry Fretwell, but does not seem to be available in the US, at least not this year. Thank you again. I've added alba luxurians to my 'to get soon' list! :-)

• ditas
    10 years ago

Sorry to be posting an album of my Clems.

The only pure white I have is Marie Boiselott ~ an absolute beauty. Snow Queen has a hint of lavender.

Another white I have not pictured, is Sweet Autumn.

However Marie is grp #2 tho.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Clems

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I just found one more clem in my garden that pretty much fits your requirements, Forever Friends. The blossom size range is 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches, so it might be a tad small, depending on your conditions, but it's white and type 3. I found it at Brushwood last year.

• garystpaul
    10 years ago

Ditas, thanks for posting your pics. Really nice collection you've got there. I, too, am a big fan of Marie Boisselot, also Snow Queen.

Gary

• Joan Dupuis
    10 years ago

This one is a group 3, not totally white, more of a pale blue/almost white. I love it. Blue Angel.

• ditas
    10 years ago

Thnx Gary ~ my collection wasn't as pretty this season due to our record drought that lasted 'til March this yr & benign neglect over-winter (sigh)! Hoping for a better 2014 season!!!

What a beautiful combo bloomorelse!!! I just aquired 2 baby Blue Angels this Spring (will keep in a lg pot to grow in 'til 2014) thinking to pair w/ my grown Ramona. Your posted pic helped w/ my plans thank you!!!

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Ditas, am I missing something or are the photos not labeled?
    Thanks,

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities