Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
von1_gw

Roguchi?

von1
17 years ago

Anyone growing this one that can give me any hints? I just got it today. Didn't say when to prune. My Anna Louise also started to bloom today. Happy Happy!!

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Rooguchi is a type 3, hard prune in late winter/early spring.

• wildflower_2007
    16 years ago

I was so overtaken by the unusual shape of the ROGUCHI when i ordered it online that I didn't notice it's not a "climber" anyone with any pics or even suggestions on where to plant it would be greatly appreciated! Over a hillside? over a big rock? i'm clueless.... thanks in advance... wildflower_2007

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Wildflower, the information out there about Roguchi being a nonclimber is wrong. I have had it for several years and it is what I would call a semiclinger. Its petioles can grab hold and will climb somewhat with guidance from you. Mine climbs a rusty metal chair and does just fine.

I know Edith Malek of the American Clematis Society had an article on this clematis in one of the society's publications and she said it didn't climb. I wrote and told her that it did in my garden. She consulted Wm. Snoeijer, a clematis breeder from the Netherlands, and he responded thusly:

"Clematis Roguchi climbs indeed with its petiole. If you grow this plant along a trellis or in a large shrub it is not necessary to tie up then, the plant will hold itself up. The tallest Roguchi that I have ever seen was on the International Clematis Society trip in the Portland area in 2000 and this plant was at least 3 m high."

Bill Bird another clematis officianado who used to post here also said his was a semiclinger.

Here is a picture of mine growing up the rusty chair trellis with minimal help from me!

{{gwi:588416}}

• joydveenc7
    16 years ago

So glad to see this thread and wonderful photo. I bought roguchi yesterday and put it at the base of a shrub rose where iris will shade the roots. Hope the iris won't be too aggressive for it.

• rosethyme
    16 years ago

Nckvilledudes, your photo of Roguchi is awesome! What is the other Clematis growing with it? Very pretty and looks very blue. My Roguchi climbs a chain link fence and seems very happy there.

Van1, hope you'll post a pic of Anna Louise. It's on my wish list.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Rosethyme, the other clematis is Arabella.

• rosethyme
    16 years ago

Thanks, Nckvilledudes. Now I'm more glad to be getting her sister, Amelia.

• chills71
    16 years ago

My Roguchi climbs a chainlink fence, then jumps over to one of two plum trees in my front yard. It has made 5-6 feet in both of the past two years. This year it has put up about 6-8 good sturdy stems and I'm betting it will surpass the 8 foot wooden fence behind it (yes, there is a fence behind the chainlink fence...)

I have it planted with a climbing pink (was supposed to be white) Iceberg (blushing Iceberg) rose and a Avante Garde Clematis.

I've been trying to find just the right Clematis to finish out this spot (I had Florida Sieboldii there, but a contractor managed to wipe it out, and I haven't been able to get another one. I'm layering either another F. Sieboldii or a Venosa Violecea (won't know until it blooms) and I thought I'd put that there. Opinions?

~Chills

• frankatstewartrun
    16 years ago

Still trying to find out how to prune my Roguchi.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    16 years ago

Buyorsell posted that it's a group 3, which means that you hard prune it (I cut down to about 6" from the ground) in late winter/early spring, which means any time now.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

My Roguchi leans (climbs) into the yellow leafed smokebush, called, I think 'Golden Gift'. It's a great combo, but I'm too technologically challenged to post pics.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?