Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_holder_gw

question about pruning Rebecca

lori_holder
13 years ago

Hi,

I bought a Rebecca this year from Whiteflower and planted it on the south side of the house. I think it had too much sun there because it didn't do well, but it did throw out 1 flower. That was back in late May, maybe early June.

I dug her up, held her in a large pot with a small wire trellis, and cut half of her height back. She kicked out a couple more shoots from her roots and started to thrive. Then I put her into the ground in what I hoped to be a more salubrious spot. She's doing fine (I think - at least she's climbing the trellis I gave her), and just threw out 2 more flowers.

All 3 of these flowers have come out on the end of the vine. It doesn't look like she makes "more" vine after the flower bud.

This is my first clematis, and I know they're picky about pruning. I recall that Rebecca blooms in spring on old wood and again later on new wood. But the first bloom she threw out was on a fresh piece of vine (that is, she grew half again as she had been and then made a flower). The two flowers are definitely "new" wood in that these vines did not exist before 6 weeks ago or so.

Do I just leave these vines alone and consider that the "old" wood to make flowers next year? (It seems silly to think of it at wood at all, because these are very thin little vines).

Does Rebecca typically make more leaves and stuff on the vine after a flower comes? Or is this as long as the vines are going to get this year?

the plant and I are now very confused... :)

Lori

Comments (3)