Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it a total loss?

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 22:35

I moved one of my clematis today, it wasn't doing well in current location..I purchased it early last year, very small plant, it grew nice, this year it was very spindly, but I didn't water well until later in the season and then it started to grow. I had it wedged between a concrete platform and my garage, a 6 inch clearance. I dug it out by hand as best as I could, but I couldn't get all the roots. The root system looks very full and healthy, but I could hear a few snap, no way to get a shovel down that far.

Then, I transplanted to another location, and SNAP! the lone single stem broke clear off the bottom. I planted the roots regardless, watered and fertilized with tomato food, wondering if there's any chance of this coming back??? I've had transplanted clems die back on me after moving or first time planting, only to have new growth later on.

What are my odds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it a total loss?

Don't give up. Last fall I moved a clematis, dividing off parts of it. There were still many roots left so I potted them up and this summer there are two stems growing in the pot. I have heard others say that they have moved a clematis and sometimes a new plant comes from roots that were left behind.

o
RE: Is it a total loss?

Cutting it back severely like that helps Clematis, it does not hurt them. You should have done it on purpose earlier this year. All new Clematis should be cut back hard their first few years after planting to encourage multiple vines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here