Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant clematis

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 22:39

I found a great sale on 1 gallon perennials yesterday, including clematis. So, of course I had to buy a few. Only 2 had labels, one is Joan Picton, the other Ernest Markham. No way to figure out what the others are until they bloom.

My question is when do I plant them in the ground? It is in the high 90's here right now and I was afraid to plant them in this heat. So, I put them in the ground in their pots and plan to put them in their permanent homes later. Should I wait until fall when our temperature is consistently cooler?
Also should I prune them back when I do plant them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant clematis

Many people suggest waiting until fall and that is probably the best. Here in Z:4 I plant all spring/summer/fall making sure to keep plants watered well in the heat and to shade them for a few days or plant during a few cloudy, rainy days.

If you plant them in the fall do not prune them as that will encourage new growth that may not have time to harden off before frost. Be sure to prune all pruning types hard in the spring the first 2-3 years.

Also, plant them deeper than pot level.

o

Thank you for the advice. I have killed several clematis in the past so I am trying to prevent their demised this time. I thought I would try to get them in the ground in September, it usually is cooler by then.

I cleared an area today, improved the soil, covered it with cardboard and a bit of loose hay. By the time I plant the clematis it should be ready for them.

When I do plant them would it be OK to cut off a few of the leaves to get it off of the temporary trellises I have them growing on? I made a string trellis for several of them but a couple are on an iron trellis. The string won't be a problem.

Sorry for the silly questions.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 14:55

Might as well add my ?? ~ not ready to plant yet but am readying site. Paring Clems for intermingled colors - how close together should planting holes be or could piggy-back ~ ok or bad idea?

TIA

o
RE: When to plant clematis?

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 15:01

PS ~ would Hagley's H & Elsa S be a good pair ~ opinion please? The Elsa S flashed a small bloom (Ramona-like purple) since moving to a 3gal pot!

Thanks again!

o

Hagley is a type 3 and Elsa is type 2 although I believe some folks do treat Elsa as 3.I have decided to plant my Hagley with my suprise Warsaw Nike. Since Hagley has dark antlers I think it will be a nice combination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here