Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singpretty

Prune young, stuggling Edo Murasaki?

singpretty
14 years ago

Hi all,

There's already so much wonderful advice here, I couldn't resist asking for a little more.

I've planted my first clematis, which I believe is called Edo Murasaki, by my mailbox with a wire trellis to climb. It started out a young nursery plant, a single vine with twelve leaves or so, and I was thrilled when it put out its first huge purple flower.

It's in a little trouble now. First the lower leaves browned, which I understand to be from inadequate watering. Then the deer came through and ate the flower and all but two of the little leaves. They left the vine, but the vine seems to have browned and shriveled somewhat -- although! -- it has now made two beautiful new leaves at the top.

The forums mention the benefits of "hard pruning," even/especially for young plants. But I'm not sure *when* this is appropriate, and exactly how it is done.

1) Do you just cut off everything that looks bad (in this case that would be the whole plant) and keep watering?

2) Should I do this to my plant *now*, in the middle of July (despite the two new leaves at the top)? Or is it better done in fall when all the perennials are nodding off to sleep?

3) Is there something else I should do?

Many thanks!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus