Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Rebecca - Wilts every year

Posted by bill14150 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:12

I purchased a small Clematis Rebecca in 2012 along with about 3 dozen others. First year, of course, it did little, wilted once, but came back from base. Second year, last year, it got a couple feet high, had one bloom, wilted again, but regrew again from bottom. This year, 2014, it got about 3 feet high and did the exact same thing. 2 feet on either side is, on left, a Ramona, new last year, very slow to start this year (many of my clems were this year, presumably from the harsh winter) and on the right, a Omoshiro, new last year which did very well this year. Has anyone else had any problems growing Rebecca? It's a beautiful red, but so far has been a disappointment for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Rebecca - Wilts every year

My Rebecca is doing okay in a shaded area competing with maple tree roots from a nearby tree. It has stayed short but had several blooms and has not wilted.

This year I have had several that have had some wilt, even older established plants. Maybe it is the weather. We have had a record amount of rain through June. Even some of my established plants haven't bloomed as much while others are loving the rain and blooming away. So it goes.

o

Unfortunately this is typical behavior from Type II Clematis.

I have found it to be particularly common when I did not prepare a large planting hole and instead tried to just cram them in with no prep.

I have some that do it every year and they are ten years old...

The vines outgrow their root system.

I keep meaning to dig them up and then dig huge holes and backfill with compost instead of the heavy clay where I just crammed them in but I never manage to do it.

I have found heavy pruning helps but does not overcome the problem.

o

Actually, my soil is very good. No clay, but sandy loam under about a foot of good, dark soil. It was a barnyard a very long time ago. I amended the planting hole as well in 2012 when I planted her. She wilted back, I cut her back and in two weeks, new growth is already beginning. Again. Most of the other nearby clems are doing fine, but the winter did do a number on several of them. And, a baby bunny nipped a few off as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here