Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millieon

Niobe, Rhapsody won't grow tall

millieon
16 years ago

My established Niobe and Rhapsody are only three and half feet tall. Fireworks finished blooming and has few stems up the lattice but the other two just won't grow up.

If I prune them now or next week after blooming will they still bloom this year.

Here's Rhapsody:

{{gwi:615308}}

Thanks.

Millie

Comments (17)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Most people complain about Clems growing too tall and having bare bottoms.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Looks like it is doing fine. I agree with BorS--most people complain about a clematis growing too tall and getting leggy.

As to whether the plants will rebloom if cut back now that they have finished blooming, the only real way to tell is to cut them back and see. The length of your growing season will determine this. Also give them a high phosphorus fertilizer and keep them watered well and the plant will do what it can. You might just be surprised. What do you have to lose by trying?

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

What do you mean by your established Clematis?..How old are they?..They look fine to me..do you fertilize them??...You might try just pruning back a few of the vines to see their reaction...I hard pruned my "Ramona" the first year ..she showed me her gratitude this year as I let her grow and didn't prune...Jeanne

• carolfm
    16 years ago

My Niobe has never gotten very tall and it has been planted for years. It twines up a trellis and around a climbing rose and it usually tops out at about 6 feet. Your clematis certainly look healthy.

Carol

• millieon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ernest Markham is one of those that grows tall and blooms only on the top as I have had him too. Just bought him again last week and will see how he does at this location. Bought few others too.

Rhapsody was moved with me couple of years ago and was pruned by mother nature last spring so this spring it was not pruned at all. It does look healthy it's just I was hoping it would fill out the trellis.

You are right the only way to find out is to try it, will cut few stems and mark them to see if they bloom again. There are still buds that have not opened and spent bloom have been deadheaded.

If Niobe gets to be six feet tall that would be fine with me.

Thanks for responding.

• millieon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Just wanted to report that my Niobe and Rhapsody Clematis grew taller this year.

{{gwi:615309}}

{{gwi:615310}}

...and same with "Fireworks".
    {{gwi:615311}}
    Millie

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Millie..How beautiful..they tend to grow taller and wider with each passing year..congrats..Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

They look wonderful being full and lush at the bottom.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

They look great!

• millieon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments!

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Wow beautiful clematis. Do you hard prune them every year to the ground? They look great.

• millieon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks flowerefan2! Mother Nature does it for me. So far they have all died to the ground at this location. Don't understand as this is a warmer climate than my previous location. Will see what happens next year.
    Millie

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Are you sure that third one is Fireworks? Mine has a dark bar on it that your doesn't seem to have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firerworks at Brushwood

• millieon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buyorsell. My "Fireworks" looked like the one in the photo too in May but it has been in bloom already for a month and the first blooms did have the dark bar.

Here's a photo from last year.
    {{gwi:615312}}
    Millie

• fernzilla
    14 years ago

Hello:

Both Niobe and Rhapsody are small Clematis vines thier
    average height is 6 to 8 feet.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Rhapsody is my slowest growing clematis. It is also the first of the large-flowered clems to bloom. This year I cut it back like a 3 and it seems to be getting taller. I tried to treat it as a 2 last year. It would probably help if I knew what I was doing.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Harry..don't feel bad hon..Clematis "Rhapsody" is not as vigorous as others in my gardens either and I've had him for 5 years..hard pruning will only force him to throw out more vines..and that is a good thing...Jeanne