Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Montana Rubens

Posted by bleudolphin Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 0:10

I am thinking about buying a Montana Rubens. I am having a hard time finding information. Has anyone tried growing this one. Does it need full sun or partial shade? Thanks for any information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Montana Rubens

The Montana Varieties of clematis grow quite large so be aware...your variety "Rubens" will get to be anywhere from 21 feet to 30 feet with maturity..they are Evergreen Spring time blooming clematis ..some are heavily scented..I plan on planting a Montana this fall called "Mayleen" which is very heavily scented and a pink instead of the white like your "Rubens"..please check out the link I have provided...the Montanas are a pruning group 1 which means no prune..but to keep in bounds you can prune after they bloom ..Hope this helps..Jeanne
ps..I do have a Montana "Spooneri" which is in its second year and is already 10+ feet long in both directions..

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Montana Var

o

The montanas are big, vigorous vines that are relatively easy to grow where hardy. They are very happy in full sun but will tolerate light shade. They need a strong support system, as a well-established vine is large and heavy - one down the street is growing through an English holly, one of the better applications of these vines I've seen :-) They generally do not require any pruning other than to periodically keep the size in check and this should be done as soon after blooming as possible. Also not prone to wilt. The combination of the mass of rosy pink, lightly fragrant spring flowers held against bronzey colored foliage is pretty stunning.

o
RE: small correction

Just a small correction to Jeanne's post - montanas are NOT evergreen and the variety 'Rubens' is a rosy pink color (the term rubens, rubra or rubrum when applied to plants typically denotes a pink or red color).

o

Gardengal..sowwy you are right...Montana "Rubens" is pink..I was thinking of my White "Spooneri"..My Montana "Spooneri" stays green leaved all winter here in Texas...why is that??

o

Clematis spooneri is really a distinct species, not a cultivar of montana. It also is not considered evergreen but several of the species clematis have an ability to retain their foliage in mild winters in a protected location - SAC is often reported to do so, although I have never experienced it.

o

They are pink and do grow big. Here's a picture of my montana rubens taken last year when it was 2 years old. This year it goes along the fence over 30 feet.

I'm trying to imitate one that someone posted a picture of in this forum several years ago. I think it is montana tetrarose which is a darker pink than rubens. I don't remember whose it is, but here's the picture I saved at the time:

o

Bob,
Is it a single clematis all over the hedge 8-) ?
This is fantastic!

o

That was my understanding (that it was one clematis), but the original post is long gone and I have no way of verifying that.

o

Thanks for posting these photos. Your fence looks gorgeous (well, with the clematis against it, of course :-)). These pictures give some ideas for using Montanas...

o

I remember that pic!!...Just gorgeous!!..Don't you wished they bloomed more often than just in Spring..Gardengal..You maybe onto something there..You know last winter was my first winter with "Spooneri" and we had an unusually warm, milder winter than usual..I will surely make note of it this year..but boy has it grown..and prettier with each year!!..This coming Spring of '07 will be its 3rd Spring and I am dying to see what that baby can do...I was told its other name was Montana "Spooneri"...but you say it's not of the Montana group??..I would love to know what Catergory it belongs if you know please....thanks..and BOB...your Montana will only get purtier with each year!!..Can't wait to get my "Mayleen" planted!!!...Jeanne

o

Jeanne - you can probably thank careless growers for your confusion :-)) I think a good many are rather sloppy and not nearly as concerned about the correct naming/labeling of plants as they are about selling them. Montanas are far more common in the trade and more widely known than spooneri and the appearance is quite similar, so they lump them together. But they are two distinct species - spooneri flowers slightly later than the montanas and produces larger flowers than any of the white flowering forms of montana and the foliage is somewhat different as well. Like all of the early spring flowering species, it is considered a pruning group 1, requiring little or no pruning, except to control size.

Re: the sloppiness regarding plant names in general and clematis specifically: as a horticulturist, it drives me nuts to see how the carelessness with labeling originating from sloppy growers gets carried to the general public and then gets into common usage. This is very common with the montanas - rubens, wilsonii, grandiflora and even tetrarose get bandied about as distinct cultivar names when in fact they are varietal forms (written as C. montana var. rubens, etc. - NOT as C. montana 'Rubens') There are named cultivars of montana, many originating from the pink flowering rubens strain and these can be labeled as either C. montana var. rubens 'Mayleen' or just as simply C. montana 'Mayleen'.

It may seem to be a bit persnickity to fret about the correct labeling of plants, but the names are developed for a reason and according to very strict taxonomic rules - so that the plants remain distinct and there is no confusion to gardeners anywhere in the world when they refer to a specific plant, everyone else will know exactly to what they are referring. This is even more important when it comes down to breeding or hybridizing. It is the difference between the adorable, mostly lab mutt puppy found at the pound and the similar adorable, pedigreed chocolate lab puppy sold with papers by a reputable breeder - they both have the potential to be great pets but they ARE different and with different bloodlines.

OK, off my rant :-)

o

I agree wholeheartedly with your rant.

It isn't persnickity, especially when one makes a living in horticulture/agriculture/floristry etc. Drove me crazy for over twenty years as a florist with a horticulture background.

Sloppiness is part of it. Lack of education also. It occurs across the board, not just with Clematis.

o

Hi bleudolphin,
I love this flowers too. Yes, it need full sun and partial shade, Montana Rubens is growing the height of 20 to 40 feet. If you want more information, you can check on the main page of this website.

John Philips

Montana Drug Treatment

o

Fantastic show over the fence Golly-gee, hope/wish my clems grow like that. I had Spooneri in Sydney (Australia) about 10 years ago but moved house before it got very big, I posted a picture a month or so ago. Would love to get one and try it here but can't find a seller! Will keep looking. My reference suggests it is similar but not related to the montanas and also chrysocoma.

o

I am thinking of planting a Montana at one end of a 30 foot chain link fence, and a Clematis Armandii at the other. So I would have a deciduous and an evergreen. Does anyone see any problems that could arise? The area has good circulation and fits light requirements for both types of clematis.

o

I can't see any problem at all since the root systems of the two clematis will be thirty feet away from each other. Whether the two clematis' branches will ever reach each other and intertwine will depend on which specific cultivars you plant and your growing conditions since there are diferent cultivars of each type that grow to varying lengths.

o

I have a redbud tree in my front yard that is really lovely in the early spring. But then it's done, and is just a pretty green, airy tree the rest of the year. I was wondering if I could send a flowering vine up the redbud, to add a second season, so to speak. And I thought of clematis, and saw the pictures of Montana reubens, and wondered if that would do. I would not want the new growth of the clematis to hide the gorgeous purple of the redbud. What do you think?

o

Yes, you could but Montana reubens might be too big and heavy, you should probably go for one like a Type III that you can cut back every year and that doesn't bloom in spring.

o

Forest Farm has Clematis chrysocoma (spooneri).

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis chrysocoma (spooneri)

o

Does anyone know how do they resist in Winter? We have temperature low till -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit). I want to buy one and I'm a little concerned it will not survive the winter.

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 8:29

Montanas only bloom on old wood. At that temperature I would think the top would freeze and although it would probably grow again it would not bloom.

o

20 years ago I planted a clematis I swear was called "Montana Montana" It has grown about 30-40 ft up a neighbors pine tree and taken over the vertical 4x8 trellis. It is very hardy and is Growing in Alpine, Ut. It faces south and the trellis is on the south side of a row of pines and a fence. It is an evergreen. The blossoms are very fragrant and why I bought it. Smells like vanilla.

o

I am so glad to run into this site. I wasn't sure if I should prune my Montana Rubin. It is about ten years old. Every year it is better than the last. I have almost run out of space. I guess i will prune it a bit in a few weeks.

o

A follow up post. We had a very very cold and snowy winter here on Long Island NY. I lost more than half of this plant. I guess I will have to chalk it up to a mother nature pruning!!!

o

Here is a picture of my clematis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here