Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container clematis questions

Posted by Connecticutian18 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 3:48

I recently purchased a clematis from Home Depot (it was on sale). It came with a pot with an attached trellis. I have no intention of planting it as I do not have enough space. I have given it full sun and watered it well yet it doesn't seem to be doing anything; I haven't observed any new growth or buds. Also, several of the leaves near the top are getting brownish spots. Is it already too late for any growth to occur? How should I handle the potted plant during the winter?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container clematis questions

Do you know it's name?
Do you know your climate zone?

Clematis don't do much until their third year. One in grower pot likely to not do much at all. Needs to be in a much bigger pot with much taller trellis, most likely.

o

Zone 6, not sure of the name sorry. Would a lot of pruning help it bloom this year?

o

No. Newly purchased clems often don't bloom their first season, typically for the reasons BorS outlined above - too small a grower pot and the need for better/longer establishment. Also, a good many selections have already bloomed for the season and are done for the year.

Knowing the name would really help going forward as you could then research the proper pruning methods. At this point in time,just go ahead and plant according to accepted clematis planting practices and prune back to second set of buds from the base. This will assist the plant in establishment and help to develop a strong root system. Flowering next year should be considered a bonus if it happens and may not be very overwhelming anyway......clematis tend to flourish best after they've spent several years in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here