Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usgirl

Leaving my garden tomorrow advise needed

usgirl
16 years ago

Here in the UK I have a Wisley clem that has a long leggy stem, only one, before producing prolifically over my rose pergola. I know that it hasn't been pruned appropriately but in my defense I am only here in mid June through mid August although I shall be here at Xmas this year and early March.

I am returning to the US tomorrow and my question is, should I prune it now, at xmas or next March? Or seeing that it is climbing so nicely over the pergola should I leave it? If you suggest pruning, do I have to cut above a bud which in this case would be high up or is it OK to cut on the leggy stem where there does not appear to be green growth? Thank you fellow clematis lovers!

Comments (5)

• chills71
    16 years ago

I'd wait til Christmas, personally.

I've heard that the UK cooresponds to US zones 7 and 8, which means to me that you likely could prune now and depending on how late cooler temperatures arrive, it would likely be fine.

Pruning above buds forces those buds to grow. Cutting below any buds (that lanky area) may force new growth from the roots, which could get you more stems overall. I wouldn't do it below any buds unless I knew the roots were very well established.

~Chills

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

If your growing zones are like the US zones 7 or 8, I would definitely prune it now before you left if someone is going to be there to take care of it (ie keep it watered and fertilized). Pruning now will cause more growth and more blooms. I have cut stuff back here, both type IIs and IIIs as late as late August and gotten blooms before the first frosts. If noone is going to be there to take care of the plant, I would not prune now and prune it either at Xmas, depending on what the weather conditions are like then, or wait until March.

Wisely is supposedly either a type II or III clematis according to info I got from the Evixon person I emailed to when I first got all 4 of the RHS named varieties. At that time there was no pruning info out there about them, so I contacted the Evison website (someone gave me the web address and I can't remember whom now). I was told Harlow Carr and Rosemoor were definitely type IIIs, Wisley could be treated as either II or III and Hyde Hall was a type II. I however have always treated Wisely as a type III in my garden and I see that COTW has it listed as a type III also.

I agree with the pruning advice chills gave about where to prune it to. If you cut below any visible buds and you haven't planted the plant with dormant nodes below the soil level, the plant may be stressed. The stress could either force new shoots from the crown or it could kill the plant. I wouldn't chance it if it were me!

• usgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for your speedy responses. I shall wait to prune until xmas or early march, same as my Rosemoor which is growing nearby. The wisley has given its all for at least 2 months and that is with benign neglect. It would be superb if I could take care of it more consistently

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

I'm glad I popped in here. My Rosemoor plant tag and COTW says it is a group 2 pruning type. I didn't get many flowers this year, so next year I'll hard prune it.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Hi Joan. Long time no hear. Like anything else, most of the type II clematis can be treated as either type IIs or IIIs depending on your growing zone. My Rosemoor has always been treated as a type III. Let us know how this works on your plant.

Congrats on your marriage since that is what I assume you meant when you sent me your new email address.