Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazsdps

I don't know a lot about Clematis, need help

mazsdps
14 years ago

Hi,

The Clematis has always been my favorite flower and I finally planted some last year. I have never pruned them and they look terrible this year. The ones I have planted in the ground bloomed so good and they still look pretty good. The ones I've planted in containers look pretty bad. I've read post on pruning but I still don't get it (I know I sound like a dummy). My container clematis look like they are dead from the soil to about 3/4 of the way up. The top of them are green and bloomed but they still don't look near as good as the ones planted in the ground. Do I cut them down to the soil line or how should I do it? Also, should I prune all of my clematis or just the containers? I live in Arkansas so when should I prune them?When I fertilized them I used miracle grow, should I use something else. I have a picture of one of the ones I have planted, it was so beautiful this year and was covered in blooms but I don't know how to put it on here. Anyway, any help would be so much appreicated. Thanks!

Comments (2)